Chrome Wheel Detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What process and products do you guys use? I'm interested in how some of the more educated guys do the chrome work.

Right or wrong here is the process I usually follow:

(wash, dry the truck body first)
1. Rinse the loose crap off the wheels
2. Spray all the wheels with Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner
3. Let it sit for a few minutes.
4. Wash the wheels a mild car wash soap
5. Rinse
6. Dry with microfiber
7. Use a can of air to get the water out of the rivets and center caps.
8. Dry again
9. Clean wheels with a carnuaba quick detailer or hydrophobic polymer quick detailer like Maguiars Ultimate for thin later of protection (makes #1 go much smoother)

Then about once a month or so, I use Mother's chrome polish with the Powerball Mini. I also follow that with a quick detail spray for a thin coat of wax or protectant.

I have used some other chrome cleaners but have yet to find one that I can't live without.

-BOSS

Last edited:
OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is that Noxon chrome cleaner? Anyone use it?

BOSS

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
I just got some new wheels two weeks ago so I'm interested in what other's use as well.

Yukon Joe XL

Reaction score
I like to keep it simple with my chrome wheels. Keep them clean!! Even if that means just hosing them down once in a while. When I wax the car I wax the wheels.:rocking:
Of course, I don't have chrome wheels yet on my Yukon but the chrome ZR1 wheels on my Vette look almost new 6 years later.

OP
OP
BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
c'mon guys, I know alotta ya have chromies homies

TTT
BOSSMAN

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have stocks 16s chrome. I just wipe em down. When I get real wheels then I'll care about them.

nc6600

ps trucks in drive
Reaction score
You said you wash and dry the body first. You always want to wash the wheels and tires first.

shsportsfan12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything chrome, i've used mothers

If I'm going to "polish" them I'll use mothers. Other then that I'll just use soap and water. Often times its more effective then that shit you buy OTC. Clean em up, dry em, then use some Migliore Wheel Sealant.

You said you wash and dry the body first. You always want to wash the wheels and tires first.

Debatable subject. I always save the wheels/tires/wheel wells to last. It's usually the dirtiest (usually lots of mud on mine) and this prevents me from contaminating my bucket where my wash mitts might be till after I've cleaned the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swampiesteve1