Dead on side of road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc968

Reaction score
2023 Duramax High Country, less than 1 month old, approx 2200 miles. periodic check engine light and 2 instances of “limp mode” (top speed of 62mph). Went to start this afternoon and wouldn’t crank but flashed every warning message possible. 30 min later, started, drove 2 miles and died, again flashing every warning message. 45 wait for tow, and driver was able to start and put on back of flat bed. Transmission warning seemed to be prominent. Thoughts?

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2023 Duramax High Country, less than 1 month old, approx 2200 miles. periodic check engine light and 2 instances of “limp mode” (top speed of 62mph). Went to start this afternoon and wouldn’t crank but flashed every warning message possible. 30 min later, started, drove 2 miles and died, again flashing every warning message. 45 wait for tow, and driver was able to start and put on back of flat bed. Transmission warning seemed to be prominent. Thoughts?
Hard to say without diagnostic codes. Just feeling the magic in the air maybe alternator ? Haven't heard of any crippling catastrophic issues regarding lm2 like you describe. You may be the first ! Sorry for your luck. Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
Seemed more electronic than mechanical, so I’m guessing some kind of control module. Battery/charging seemed fine and all electrics worked but wouldn’t even crank, then after resting was ok. will keep folks posted.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad battery. Bad alternator. Loose connection at starter. Loose terminals. Ground. These new vehicles go nuts on a bad battery or bad connection. Keep us updated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Electrical for sure but with all the stuff they cram in them now days, I have not got an intelligent clue. Battery seems to be the consensus.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
@dc968 did you push the onstar button and have them run a diagnosis and email you the results? Assuming you still have a CEL showing

djsassan

Reaction score
When I went through my ordeal, my truck threw ALLLLLL kinds of crazy messages. When I say all kinds of messages, I mean ALLLLLLL kinds of messages like lower and raise the window, liftgate glass open (it wasn't), etc etc.

Took it to the dealer, they found a loose connection at the battery.

I am hoping it is something loose and that's it. Best of luck.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars run off the alternator not the battery.
Back in the 70’s and early 80’s I could start a car pull the battery and drive that thing as long as it stayed running so yes that statement is semi true. Back then the alternator took a lot of abuse and they weren’t very high amp alts 50,60 maybe 70 if lucky..so using wipers or heat and headlights you could tell it was trying to keep up with the electrical load.
With all the electronics and computers on any newer model vehicle if your battery is even a few volts off or you have a loose connection it will play havoc on these systems even with a 120,150,170 amp alternator.
It’s very important to keep connections tight, grounds clean and solid and batteries fully charged.
Your statement was true 30 years ago and to an extent but not so much today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joerob25

Latest posts