Experience with Dobinsons rear coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertRat

Reaction score
I'm currently running a 4" BDS lift with the rear shocks and spring spacer that came with the kit. Springs are currently from Cargo Maxx. Compared to the front end, the parts for the rear feel like an afterthought. Does anyone have any experience with the coils from Dobinsons? Looks like there are two different types.

In addition to the coils I've been eyeballing some Fox universal DSC's for the rear.

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
I have too, specifically when I had my 4runner. They were a company that regularly came up when suspension upgrades were discussed. Thanks for the name, I've seen that company mentioned before, but couldn't remember them. Custom was another route that I was considering. How much did you pay for yours?

Marshall 008

Reaction score
I have too, specifically when I had my 4runner. They were a company that regularly came up when suspension upgrades were discussed. Thanks for the name, I've seen that company mentioned before, but couldn't remember them. Custom was another route that I was considering. How much did you pay for yours?
I think they were around $350.

bobsburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed C09-037 Dobinsons on my 2011 Suburban for towing purposes. These are the stiffest (the web site says they work well for people who routinely carry several hundred pounds in the back). Driving on them for two days now - the first afternoon unloaded, the second with 300 lbs of camping gear, water, and the trailer hitch installed. The ride the first day was pretty stiff, but controlled except for driving over railroad tracks. Back end waned to dance some. Today - with the stuff in the back - the ride was still stiff/firm but more controlled. I'm waiting to see how it tows with the cargo I need to carry for a lot of off-grid camping before passing judgement. If they work well for that, I'll forgive a lot of unloaded stiffness.

Edit: I will add that I have Bilstein 5100s on the truck and while I used the lowest front perch setting on the shocks to work with the Moog 81069 HD rear springs I just took off of it, I ended up setting the front spring perch up one notch to maintain a slight rake for towing purposes. The Moogs added an inch and a half or so rear ride height on their own (no spacers, pucks, etc.) and the Dobinsons added another 1.25" to that.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bobsburban At that height you might be reaching the effective range of the factory height suspension. When I lifted the rear of my Tahoe, after a certain point the ride got really bad, I remedied that with rear shock extenders to bring the rear shocks back into their operating range so that they weren’t over extending, an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle, and extended rear sway bar end links so that the rear sway bar wasn’t at a jacked up angle.

If you haven’t compensated for those points it might be worth looking into

bobsburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth looking at when we get back. Truck will be due an oil change by the end of the trip anyway as I'm finding that an engine with 280k on it chews up oil pretty quickly. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1962C10Youkon