front end updates 100k+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well after the accident the front end got an alignment and the align guy tod me that the drivers upper ball joint boot was dry rotting.. and would need be replaced in near future and is the cause for the random squeak up front.

well i did a little digging and talking with local 4WD shop and buddy there.. and he told me to get MOOG Grease able joints..

so i have sourced the parts about $253 for all new uper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends.. i figure while i have the front end all apart i amy as well do it right.. of if there is a better product out there.. so far there is not much of an aftermarket line for ball joints..

IS there any other areas that anyone can suggest i address while apart..

NO steering or running gear was damaged in accident.. the alignment guy said i was actually very true still as i had my annual alignment not 4 months ago.. .. there has always been the ever so slight play in the steering and i attribute that to: lift, 35s and 100k+ miles.. and well warn out stock ball joints..

so i figure go beefy and do it right so its good for another 100k...

anything else that i should look at while doing this...

Last edited:

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moog makes good stuff, id run their parts no questions asked. but may also want to do sway bar end links possibly, check the control arm bushings(add poly bushings if needed), maybe that cognito pittman/idler support setup...

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggestions noted.. i figure if i have the tires off and under the front end i might as well get it all.. rebuild the front end basically..

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, after what you mentioned, all you really have left is pittman and idler left to do. im sure you dont need a centering link, prob dont need a steering box, hubs are prob still fine... and thats about it. other than those, all you have is the control arms. youre already replacing the balljoints, only thing left is bushings. go ahead and check the bushings on the shocks and everything else while youre in there as well.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jsut put new solid 1" diameter sway bar end links from trail master on about 9 months ago with earthen bushings. so those are rock solid.. damn things were like $75 for the set just parts i did the labor.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wanting to replace my ball joints also when i install my drop spindles and have priced moog ball joints at approximate $80 each so your price sounds pretty good. where are you getting them from?

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check rockauto, i saved a couple bucks when i needed to replace rods ball joints and a cv shaft on my 96

either way it ends up expensive, but any bit helps i guess

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I installed a stealing stabilizer and holy cow it did wonders...

The ball joints and tie rod ends should get the last little bit of play gone..

GEO3xk - wheel bearings checked out fine overall

The stabilizer firmed the steering up a lot. And got all of the play out the steering wheel and slight play vibrations. There is less walk than before. I feel with ball joints and tie rod ends and bushings if needed will make the front end nice and happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DetcJohnKimble