front end updates 100k+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jsut put new solid 1" diameter sway bar end links from trail master on about 9 months ago with earthen bushings. so those are rock solid.. damn things were like $75 for the set just parts i did the labor.

Why would you do new links? Just for the bushings? Do you have a link to this part?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you do new links? Just for the bushings? Do you have a link to this part?

yes, the bushings start deteriorating and will need to be replaced. the larger diameter end link are just more heavy duty. the ones that i have mount up totally different than stock. the stock end links are just long rods that the bushings slide over. the end link i have are prob 1" in the core. then the ends screw into the body, compressing the bushings. it hard to explain, ill see if i can find some pics...

heres a stock end link
http://static.1aautoimages.com/partimage/SMX/1ASMX00037/main.JPG

and heres an aftermarket
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/prodimages/Energy_Suspension/98123G_lg.jpg

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read good stuff about this, just expensive. I like you would like to rebuild my front end, but coming to see how expensive it'll be, dunno if I just do it with the new heavy duty stuff or OEM.

http://store.sevensaturdays.com/cst-css-c24-8-kit.html

those look interesting.. i will have to look up more on them.. they are expensive as shit thought

well the issue is the links are larger bc of the lift kit. and i tried to buy just the bushings but i could not source just the bushings.. they are much larger than stock.. and the only way to get the bushings was to get new links from trail master.. i called all sorts of people for about a month hunting them.. ill take pics and show the size increase..

no i do not have a link to the part.. i had to call trailmaster direct in CA and use my local 4wd shop that is a dealer for TM and my buddy ordered me the parts at cost.. same with my steering stabilizer.. all i pay extra is shipping.. it could have been less than $75 its been a while i cant remember exactly..

yes, the bushings start deteriorating and will need to be replaced. the larger diameter end link are just more heavy duty. the ones that i have mount up totally different than stock. the stock end links are just long rods that the bushings slide over. the end link i have are prob 1" in the core. then the ends screw into the body, compressing the bushings. it hard to explain, ill see if i can find some pics...

heres a stock end link
http://static.1aautoimages.com/partimage/SMX/1ASMX00037/main.JPG

and heres an aftermarket
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/prodimages/Energy_Suspension/98123G_lg.jpg

yes you are correct.. but the end links i have are much larger than the one you showed.. i have a spare set aka the original set in my tool box ill take pics.. but they are a couple LBS each.. i also have a larger sway bar in addition to the lift.. and dealing with the lift components beefier linkage is needed this is why they made these huge end links..

as for the $$ it was worth it. to not have one side the truck with a 1" gap from a dead bushing going whap whap.. but the thing is the inside diameter is 2x the stock and outer is 2x larger also and this is what made it hard to track down. plus there is a cone shape to one end of each of the bushings and that was key..

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

i would love to have something fully rebuildable and bullet proof like this.. that will keep the tires locked in and tracking nice and straight all the time no mater the terrain..
i may end up in buddies machine shop fabbing a similar tie rod.. we were talkign about it last night.. he wants a beefy set for his 2500HD with cummins swap about to get a 8" lift and 38s..

1003or_08_o+2001_chevy_2500_heavy_duty+blitzkrieg_tie_rod.jpg

stock vs BEEF
1003or_09_o+2001_chevy_2500_heavy_duty+comparison.jpg

this ideler arm is looking very tempting in my book
1003or_02_o+2001_chevy_2500_heavy_duty+supersteer_idler_arm_support.jpg

Last edited:

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those i posted are energys, the ones i bought are much bulkier than that, but i couldnt find a pic to link of them, they arent listed anymore. ill have to take a pic of the actual parts to show you.

havent i seen the heim joint tie rods on ebay? they should make it all VERY firm. im actually lookin to do something of the sort on my girls mustang. its called a bumpsteer kit for the mustang. once lowered the tie rods arent parallel with ground, they actually point upward. the bumpstop kit drop the out tie rod mounting points like in the picture above, which lowers the tie rod itself, making the steering parallel with the ground again. seems like youd need to opposite for a lifted truck

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea oposite for lifted.. so far i have found where i can order the 1.5" bars and heim joints..

buddy and i are tag teaming the search as he needs the same for his sierra 2500..

i would love to have a beefy set for less than 150 ideal but may be a challenge.. and yes a HEIM joint will be 10 fold better than a ball style joint of the OEM style.. plus the main rod being beefier will not have any give where the stocks actually have a slight flex and can break easy with a lift and tires this large..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stank hammer

Latest posts