Front parking brake cable replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silky28

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an 03 Tahoe Z71 with a broken front parking brake cable but I cannot find a writeup or video on how to tackle this.

The cable has to attach to the parking brake pedal assembly but I cannot see a way to disconnect the cable from the pedal assembly with it still in the truck. I assume, therefore, that I will have to remove the parking brake pedal assembly to do this. If so, how do I go about removing this? I assume the assembly is held in with 2-3 studs and nuts but I can only find one. Where are the others and how the hell would you get a tool up in there to get at them?

Is this going to be a nightmare?

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am not sure that #5 is mounting bolt. I think I can see it but it is too small to be a mounting bolt and seems like it hold the parking brake engagement sensor...but I could be wrong.

I can get at the lower #2 nut quite easily but I cannot see the higher one. If I snake my hand over top I can feel what seems to be a nut and stud but it feels almost plastic like and I have no idea how I would get a tool in there. There is a black plastic box between the brake and parking brake pedals that really blocks access!

This seems like it will be a real PITA

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Sigh, gonna look more into this in the morning but I don't think its going to be easy!

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Will do. Been too cold to get to it. Should be warming up soon though!

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Been too cold to get to it. Should be warming up soon though!
I know this is an old thread, but sure could use some feedback. How did you manage to replace the forward parking brake cable wihtout removing the assembly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts