Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Would the fuel gauge be working if the fuel pump is out? Pulled up to a stop light, light turned green, yukon shut off. Engine turns over, it has half a tank of gas, but won't start. Any help would be appreciated, I'm currently broke down in north phx.... Anyone in the phx area?

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, fuel gauge should work even if fuel pump is out. Sending unit is next to pump but it's a separate mechanism. Try to see if you have a pressure valve on fuel line under hood to check for pressure. Watch out for squirting gasoline.

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes you can hit the tank a few times with a rubber mallet and it will energize the pump so you can drive it home.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how mine went out months ago, rolled up to a stop sign next to my house, as soon as I pressed the gas it died on the spot!! After that, it turned over fine but sounded like it wanted to kinda start but it wouldn't, kinda like flooding a carb'ed motor!!
And yes, my gas gauge worked, like mentioned it's a separate item attached to the fuel pump!

OP
OP
yukondoit

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Well I got a tow to a friends place... Now I have to figure out what the problem is. Check engine light is on, p0178 comes up. Which is basically the flex fuel sensor. Would that be a possible cause of it not starting? Would the sending unit cause it not to run also?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about flex but a bad sending unit shouldn't keep the truck from running.

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can check the fuel relay. it is in the fuse box under the hood. swap the relays around to see if it is a bad relay. probably not. These trucks have a history of bad fuel pumps. Don't go to the Stealer for the repair. He will quote $800-$1000. I bought a fuel pump assembly from Advance Auto for $275 and had a mobile mechanic install it for $175. The mechanic had done so many it was second nature to him. I helped him install it so I could learn how to do it. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds.

OP
OP
yukondoit

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
I'm here in phx for work, up to friday. Stressing big time over this, plus I have no tools with me, so me doing my own install is kinda out of the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lady112210

Latest posts