How do I get my Tahoe to ride/handle like my 3500HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shock

Reaction score
I have been driving a 2019 Tahoe Z71 and a 2019 Silverado 3500HD LTZ crew cab long box single rear wheel. I’ve always preferred the lack of body roll of the 3500HD. The ride is a bit stiffer and I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t want a ride any stiffer than that.

I wouldn’t mind a mild leveling of the Tahoe but not interested in any drastic change in height.

I recently bought a Miata. The sporty handling has really exaggerated how I feel about the Tahoe body roll. I don’t need 3 cars and financially/garage-space-wise it makes the most sense to get rid of the 3500HD.

How do I get the Tahoe to feel more like the 3500HD?

All the shops that do this sort of thing in my area get wildly mixed reviews so starting there is not my favorite option.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tall order. You want a lighter vehicle with coil over suspension to ride like a much heavier vehicle with torsion bars. I don't think there is any outcome that will give the firm feel you want without making it feel like a lumber wagon.

What size wheels and tires are you running? Does it have auto ride suspension (z55 or equivalent). Personally I like the way my 22 inch Denali wheels handle corners with the premium suspension, but I pretty much hate them for any roads other than smooth. I don't feel excessive body roll, but we may have different driving habits too. LOL

OP
OP
shock

shock

Reaction score
It’s currently completely stock besides Michelin tires. Wheels are 18” oem, 265/65/18. Suspension is not magnaride, no height adjustment, etc. I believe the Z71 is same as LT but with slightly softer shocks.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always preferred the lack of body roll of the 3500HD. The ride is a bit stiffer and I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t want a ride any stiffer than that.

I would just start here before you started to change any ride height.

Get some stiffer sway bars from Hotchkis or Hellwig along with some upgraded endlinks and polyurethane sway bar mounts. Most kits I think include polyurethane mounts and possibly end links also.

You will notice a significant reduction in body roll by adding stiffer sway bars; And sway bars don’t affect ride height.

Then if that doesn’t do enough move to a rear level and drop the rear by 1.5”-2”.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I get the 2019 Tahoe Z71 to feel more like the 2019 Silverado 3500HD LTZ crew cab long box single rear wheel?
All the shops that do this sort of thing in my area get wildly mixed reviews, so starting there is not my favorite option.
The rear suspensions simply do NOT compare directly ... but what about the front suspensions?
Dimensionally, Tahoe Z71 (1500) may be incompatible with 3500HD steering / suspension parts,
but the rates of the 3500's springs / shocks / swaybars would be HIGHLY informative.

In other words, the 3500HD might still help you decide what aftermarket parts to buy,
even if you can't just swap suspension / steering parts.

Reaction score
I have been driving a 2019 Tahoe Z71 and a 2019 Silverado 3500HD LTZ crew cab long box single rear wheel. I’ve always preferred the lack of body roll of the 3500HD. The ride is a bit stiffer and I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t want a ride any stiffer than that.

I wouldn’t mind a mild leveling of the Tahoe but not interested in any drastic change in height.

I recently bought a Miata. The sporty handling has really exaggerated how I feel about the Tahoe body roll. I don’t need 3 cars and financially/garage-space-wise it makes the most sense to get rid of the 3500HD.

How do I get the Tahoe to feel more like the 3500HD?

All the shops that do this sort of thing in my area get wildly mixed reviews so starting there is not my favorite option.
I'd recommend swapping out the stock rubber bushings for polyurethane ones. It really helps with better handling and responsiveness.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hellwig sway bars front and rear is the best mod that you can make to achieve your objective. There is virtually zero body roll after installation, and the rear sway bar is adjustable to even better dial in your ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pawaso

Latest posts