IAT Always Reads 32°

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruelJung

Reaction score
Earlier this year, I solved a cold start issue with my 2008 Yukon XL (5.3 LMG) by replacing my ECT sensor. I discovered a few other issues along the way to that fix and one of those issues is that my intake air temperature consistently reads 32°, regardless of environmental conditions or engine temperature. Installing a new MAF sensor did not fix this reading, so I’m presuming this is a problem in the connection between the MAF and ECU/PCM. No CEL, trouble codes, or obvious (to me) operational issues, but I imagine my engine would benefit from an accurate IAT read. The last thing I tried was a cheap cable tracer from Harbor Freight and that did not pan out for me.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with diagnosing/solving this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpeg
    IMG_1006.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like it's pin D tan/black and E tan. at the maf and pin 38 tan and 37 tan/blk at the ecm.

if you can get to it might ohm put the wires at both ends.

with the sensor unplugged it should read across D and E

32deg 5119- 5892 ohm
68deg 2290-2551 ohm
104deg 1096-1238ohm
176deg 312-370ohm

might at least let you know if the part is OK before you start searching thru the harness

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
looks like it's pin D tan/black and E tan. at the maf and pin 38 tan and 37 tan/blk at the ecm.

if you can get to it might ohm put the wires at both ends.

with the sensor unplugged it should read across D and E

32deg 5119- 5892 ohm
68deg 2290-2551 ohm
104deg 1096-1238ohm
176deg 312-370ohm

might at least let you know if the part is OK before you start searching thru the harness

I’ve been procrastinating, as my electrical experience is severely lacking. I managed to learn how to de-pin my MAF connector (not necessary, I know), locate the tan + tan/black wires and the pin locations on the J1 ECM connector. With my cheap Cen-Tech multimeter, I’m getting about 5.6 ohms from the D/E to 37/38 with the setting at 200 ohms. This was done with the negative battery cable off, the tested wires disconnected from both the MAF and ECM, and the multimeter probes applied at both unplugged ends.

What do I do with this information? Did I make any mistakes? Please advise, thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
Semi-Solved: I decided to cross-reference my DiabloSport scanner with another tool and it seems my IAT sensor is in working order.

Next step will be getting DiabloSport/Holley to explain why my Predator2 scanner is telling me that my IAT is reading 32 degrees all the time.

On that end, it’s worth noting that my ECM is programmed to the Diablo (93 octane) tune and that I have previously changed the tune back to stock (w/ AFM disable) to check if that corrected the IAT read (in the case of it being a data point manipulation, as part of the Diablo tune), and the IAT live data displayed the same 32 degrees.

So, I will keep updating as the story unfolds.

IMG_1422.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are there any other IAT PIDs that can be selected on the DiabloSport? Or just the one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
Are there any other IAT PIDs that can be selected on the DiabloSport? Or just the one?

I am glad you asked that. After re-visiting the PID menu, it seems “Power-Up IAT” displays the expected data for my intake air temperature. I suppose I should re-name this thread to “Paranoid Delusions of a Dangerously Tenacious Novice.”

I was not able to get Diablo/Holley on the phone and I would like to know if my scanner/tuner is in need of a calibration or update of some kind. The PU IAT (to me, at least) is a bit counter-intuitive vs Intake Air Temp. Perhaps it’s a feature, not a bug, though.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpeg
    IMG_1425.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a odd one.. I have seen key on iat saved and used as part of the startup routine to avoid heat soak rich cranking. but nothing you'd need to know or see as a monitor.

weird mostly useless pid to be able to display. most consumer grade stuff avoids options like.

its ridiculous getting anyone useful on a phone or even tech line anymore. you might have more luck with a email sent to their tech department if you can't find it. that way when the tech line guy has no idea, he might take the 2 secs to forward it to an engineer. if he's interested, you might get a reply but probably not either.

glad you found it wasn't a wiring issue after all.

OP
OP
CruelJung

CruelJung

Reaction score
that's a odd one.. I have seen key on iat saved and used as part of the startup routine to avoid heat soak rich cranking. but nothing you'd need to know or see as a monitor.

weird mostly useless pid to be able to display. most consumer grade stuff avoids options like.

its ridiculous getting anyone useful on a phone or even tech line anymore. you might have more luck with a email sent to their tech department if you can't find it. that way when the tech line guy has no idea, he might take the 2 secs to forward it to an engineer. if he's interested, you might get a reply but probably not either.

glad you found it wasn't a wiring issue after all.
There are some PIDs I can look at that are very clearly "commanded" values (it's even in their titles). I suppose it would make sense that 32-degrees is an intentionally false, commanded value for cold cranking purposes--tune or stock--and I have noticed that my fuel trims do start rich with close to a 1k rpm idle that calms down to where I tuned it (650rpm) within 30-60 seconds.

Without having spoken to anyone from the manufacturer as of yet, it seems to me that the data values and PID names are mismatched; 32-degrees would make more sense as the "Power-Up IAT" value, and the live (accurate) temperature reading as the "Intake Air Temperature" PID. Whether this is a glitch unique to my product or a general "feature" is something I would like to know, when I finally catch someone on the phone. We shall see. In the meanwhile, yes, I am glad my IAT wiring is good and that my tuner/scanner is at least reading accurate information (regardless of its strange categorization in this case).

One of the next hopeful items on my agenda: re-looming, re-routing (where appropriate), and re-attaching the engine bay wiring to where it belongs or would be better off. So, perhaps I didn't *entirely* waste my time learning a few things in that area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74