My 2008 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
What sub comes in the mtx stealth box? I was thinking of adding just an amp/sub to my setup. I want something small but powerful and will fit in a small sealed box in between my two captains chairs in the center aisle. I was looking at a 8" JL audio w7 with a mono block JL amp to go with it. What do you think?

Its an MTX shallow 4-ohm sub that can push 225w RMS. It fits under the center console in-between the two front seats. Just about any 10" shallow sub will fit in it, so no JL subs will fit.
For raw power, the new model Alpine SWR T10 will fit, pushes 600w RMS, but will also run atleast $350 just about anywhere.
I say you just get the JL stealthbox or the MTV one, both already have subs installed.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an MTX shallow 4-ohm sub that can push 225w RMS. It fits under the center console in-between the two front seats. Just about any 10" shallow sub will fit in it, so no JL subs will fit.
For raw power, the new model Alpine SWR T10 will fit, pushes 600w RMS, but will also run atleast $350 just about anywhere.
I say you just get the JL stealthbox or the MTV one, both already have subs installed.

But the JL Stealthbox comes with a JL 10w3... looking for an 8 with cleaner sound... what is the MTV one? You mean the MTX one?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
No it comes with a 10" W1, which pretty much is a shallow mount sub that is straight trash. The only other shallow mount they offer is the 13" TW5.
And yeah I meant MTX.
By the way, 10" subs will always have a better all around sound with a better response than 8" ones.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see... yea I was looking for an 8" primarily to conserve space, I definitely agree a 10 or 12 sounds way better... in my 01 Z71 Tahoe I had 3 Kicker L7 12's but it took up too much room!

Looking for clean deep bass, and really wanted to conserve space so that's where I came up with the Jl 8w7. So no stealth box could fit one of those ?

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
No, no StealthBox can fit those because the top mount depth is too long for that sub to fit in such a shallow box. SO the only JL subs that can fit is the W1 10", I would jsut go with the MTX, 225w RMS should be good enough for you.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I see an MTX Thunderform w/ sub included for $240 on ebay from a reliable seller brand new. Now all I need is a good amp! Thanks for all the info/help!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Thats where I am getting my from shortly.
Now that I remember, their are also two more options to get the same enclosure with an;
1. upgraded MTX shallow sub that can puch 300W RMS, or
2. A regular 225W RMS enclosure with 225w MTX amp already installed into the sub enclosure. So its basically a Stealth sub/amp combo.
The seller should have them under his store, the two options runs $350 (1st above option) and $550 respectively (2nd above option).

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, non-SMD mini bulbs always blow. I went through 2 sets or regualr 194 LEDs license plate bulbs, then I got 194 SMDs in there and they have been fine for about a year now, comapred to 1 month of before.
For the Audio swap I am going to run the MTX stealth box off of my Pioneer 4200DVD HU and amp it with a Kicker 200 watts RMS amp. Should add just the amount of bass I want.

Modded,

I found out that my Bose system has the sub under this center console so there goes THAT idea... Do you have third row seats? If so, do you know of any good boxes that would fit behind that third row seat? I --REALLY-- wanted a hidden enclosure but I don't want to get rid of my bose sub... what to do what to do...

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

HID reverse lights? nice! where did you get em?

Thanks! I got them in pieces on eBay. I Bought 2 H11 HID 8k Bulbs and 2 35W Ballasts. Then I cut off the reverse bulb that came with my G4 LED Tail and soldered the two connections to the new HID bulb. The H11 bulb sits flush in the housing of the LED Tail but does not "Lock" into place. So I bought some silicon high temp sealant from AutoZone and sealed the bulb in there. REAL easy install. I ended up spending over $50 on the kit. If I were you I would just buy them from ddmtuning.com and save some money. I did not about that website until AFTER I bought it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I know of enclosures that sit behind the third row but I do not like any of them at all. They will be so close to the rear hatch that thyey would rattle like crazy even if they were pushing only 200 watts.
I say you remove that Bose sub and put it in your garage, then you will have enough space to put the sub box in. You may also have to relocate the Bose amp.
If that sounds too hard, do you have captain chairs by an chance?
You can also do this:http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1005tr_2007_gmc_yukon_buildup/index.html