My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The install directions gave a few steps to verify you connected things properly prior to start, testing and adjustments. Basically you test a few connections with a voltmeter. Once you do that you start the vehicle and ensure the system is working. First I check the Fail Safe. When turning on the failsafe the fans should kick on and ramp up to 100%.
As indicated by the full set of led lights and the fans were turning at full spped:
Fail Safe.jpg
After that check, I turned the A/C on after turning off the fail safe. It comes preset to operate the fans at 100%. I adjusted the fans down to 70%:
AC.jpg
I will continue at 70% for a few days, but it appears 70% is plenty - no drop off in cooling sitting at lights in traffic or idling in my garage. I may drop it down another 10% and test that setting. Then you adjust the operation of the settings so the fans come on when required. This takes a little patience and tweaking to get what you want. Basically you use a laser temp gun and measure the bottom of the radiator hose (black dull surface) to set outflow temp 15-20 degrees below the engine thermostat temperature. You push and hold the "hot" button if you want hotter temperature or the warm button if you want cooler temperatures. Once you get the temperature set to the way you would like it - the controller will remember where you set it. After a good 30-45 minutes in 98 degree heat, I finally tweaked it to my liking. So sitting in my garage idling the fans will slowly start up at 10% (barely on) then 20% to 30%. A picture at 20%:
Engine Running at Idle.jpg
I took it out for a spin and driving around normally with the windows down (turned the A/C off) and pulled over a few times to check on the fans and they were not truning - which is normal and expected. Then drove it pretty hard and pulled over a few times and the fans were turning at 30-50% - which is normal and expected. I kept the hood open for a few minutes the last run and the fans dropped down to 30% then 20% then 10%. If it was not so frigging hot I'm sure it would have dropped to 0. Drove it home calmly and pulled in my garage, popped the hood and the fans were not on. Sat at idle for a bit and the fans then start to slowly turn again. I'm going to hook up my scan tool tomorrow and look at the actual temperatures as I finish tweaking my adjustments.

All tucked into its spot:
All Tucked In.jpg

I'm quite happy with this controller and the flexibility it provides. Looking forward to testing it while I'm towing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The install directions gave a few steps to verify you connected things properly prior to start, testing and adjustments. Basically you test a few connections with a voltmeter. Once you do that you start the vehicle and ensure the system is working. First I check the Fail Safe. When turning on the failsafe the fans should kick on and ramp up to 100%.
As indicated by the full set of led lights and the fans were turning at full spped:
View attachment 404929
After that check, I turned the A/C on after turning off the fail safe. It comes preset to operate the fans at 100%. I adjusted the fans down to 70%:
View attachment 404930
I will continue at 70% for a few days, but it appears 70% is plenty - no drop off in cooling sitting at lights in traffic or idling in my garage. I may drop it down another 10% and test that setting. Then you adjust the operation of the settings so the fans come on when required. This takes a little patience and tweaking to get what you want. Basically you use a laser temp gun and measure the bottom of the radiator hose (black dull surface) to set outflow temp 15-20 degrees below the engine thermostat temperature. You push and hold the "hot" button if you want hotter temperature or the warm button if you want cooler temperatures. Once you get the temperature set to the way you would like it - the controller will remember where you set it. After a good 30-45 minutes in 98 degree heat, I finally tweaked it to my liking. So sitting in my garage idling the fans will slowly start up at 10% (barely on) then 20% to 30%. A picture at 20%:
View attachment 404932
I took it out for a spin and driving around normally with the windows down (turned the A/C off) and pulled over a few times to check on the fans and they were not truning - which is normal and expected. Then drove it pretty hard and pulled over a few times and the fans were turning at 30-50% - which is normal and expected. I kept the hood open for a few minutes the last run and the fans dropped down to 30% then 20% then 10%. If it was not so frigging hot I'm sure it would have dropped to 0. Drove it home calmly and pulled in my garage, popped the hood and the fans were not on. Sat at idle for a bit and the fans then start to slowly turn again. I'm going to hook up my scan tool tomorrow and look at the actual temperatures as I finish tweaking my adjustments.

All tucked into its spot:
View attachment 404933

I'm quite happy with this controller and the flexibility it provides. Looking forward to testing it while I'm towing.
I’m pretty sure that’s the same controller I was looking at when I did the electric fan conversion on my 02. It had nothing but good reviews iirc. In the end I went with PCM control and figured settings can always be changed in the tune. Good to read about the install process, thanks.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that’s the same controller I was looking at when I did the electric fan conversion on my 02. It had nothing but good reviews iirc. In the end I went with PCM control and figured settings can always be changed in the tune. Good to read about the install process, thanks.
A couple of things I really like about this controller is you can easily adjust the speed of the fans when you use the Air Conditioning and when the water temps start getting hot the fans slowly ramp up to speed. I was out driving after I posted this thread and I never heard the fans. Then I turned on my A/C for awhile and I think I might be able to drop the speed of the fans another 10%.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completed my final tweaking on this controller utilizing both my scan tool and my laser temp gun. It has operated flawlessly for the last week. I was able to drop my fans speed to 50% when the A/C is on. With the windows closed you can't even hear the fans.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RAMurphy - That is a really nice setup. The way you are describing the fan operation and percentages is exactly how my OEM setup works on my 2004. I did the rebuilt oem fan harness route and copied efan settings from a 2005 and pasted them into my tune via HP Tuners. I just wanted you to know yours is working very similar to oem, which is good!

I almost teared up when you described your daughters reaction to her car. You are a great dad.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Stonefort That's good to know about the operation similar to the 2004 OEM setup. And thank you for the comment associated with my daughter's car. We just had dinner with her and her fiancé on Saturday. I got another extra hug when we got to the door. Received the touchup paint last weekend so when it gets cooler I will finally color match her fender.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy and very sad year for us. Today we said goodbye to my daughter's 22 year old cat (yes I typed that right - 22 years). She became "our" cat almost 10 years ago when our daughter got married. Her husband was allergic to cats. She lived a very happy and comfortable life. She has been on special food and meds for the past several months. Last night it was obvious she was in a lot of pain and breathing so very heavy. Wouldn't let us hold her or pet her. I gave her some codeine we had left over from my little beagle to make her more comfortable and we made the call. Her favorite spot in the house was in a window, looking outside. The past year she wasn't able to get there on her own, but we built steps up and a platform where she could lay and rest. She passed in my wife's arm looking out a window.

1692470799728blob.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy and very sad year for us. Today we said goodbye to my daughter's 22 year old cat (yes I typed that right - 22 years). She became "our" cat almost 10 years ago when our daughter got married. Her husband was allergic to cats. She lived a very happy and comfortable life. She has been on special food and meds for the past several months. Last night it was obvious she was in a lot of pain and breathing so very heavy. Wouldn't let us hold her or pet her. I gave her some codeine we had left over from my little beagle to make her more comfortable and we made the call. Her favorite spot in the house was in a window, looking outside. The past year she wasn't able to get there on her own, but we built steps up and a platform where she could lay and rest. She passed in my wife's arm looking out a window.

View attachment 406453
So sorry. It’s like losing a child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shaleridge