Question about a Border Patrol 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am in the process of buying a 2008 Tahoe with 12k on the odo, I think previously owned by the CBP. I've been researching about them for a bit. One thing that I noticed on the one I am purchasing is that it has 5100 Bilsteins? It looks like it has a bit of a lift but I am not sure. Were CBP Tahoes spec'd with Bilstein/lift from GM?

I've been lurking on here a little bit, and I already have some plans as to what I am going to do (aux trans radiator, console, carpet, stereo, etc.). It has holes in the roof; are most folks just buying plugs/covers for them? Are there any better than others? It also has some paint chips (about an 1in for each one) on the hood and rear quarter that I might try to tackle.

Any thing else to look for?

Thanks,

John

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am in the process of buying a 2008 Tahoe with 12k on the odo, I think previously owned by the CBP. I've been researching about them for a bit. One thing that I noticed on the one I am purchasing is that it has 5100 Bilsteins? It looks like it has a bit of a lift but I am not sure. Were CBP Tahoes spec'd with Bilstein/lift from GM?

I've been lurking on here a little bit, and I already have some plans as to what I am going to do (aux trans radiator, console, carpet, stereo, etc.). It has holes in the roof; are most folks just buying plugs/covers for them? Are there any better than others? It also has some paint chips (about an 1in for each one) on the hood and rear quarter that I might try to tackle.

Thanks,

John
If CBP - is it 4x4? I have a CBP SSV which did not have Bilstein shocks - should be GM so I suspect those were added after the fact. Mine now has leather fronts and a console as well as upgrade JVC radio along with SAT/Backup cam. Mine has chips everywhere which was touched up with an off color white so it looks like it is covered in chips. Should have skid plates underneath also.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Number of idle Hours
Irrelevant with proper maintenance. It'd be better to focus on maintenance records than anything else, as the majority of PPV or SSV vehicles surely have an absolute ton of idle hours. That's a safe assumption for all local/state agency vehicles.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

John
Not by gm, perhaps a upfitter a did it or the local department maintenance person, either way you are on your own in figuring it all out.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

John
Welcome from hot humid Miami John!

Hopefully you got some records with it and had a mechanic check it out.

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2011 CBP Border Patrol Vehicle and it came with GM shocks. The front struts had a 2" shim on them for a 2" front lift I presume. My underside is also "Armored" up with CBP manufactured rock guards plus two hood vents. I too have a 2" hole in the roof were the lightbar was. I purchased a plastic stick on cover temporarily but I plan on having a body shop repair it soon.

This is the company I used to get an aftermarket center console and the Hole Patch Plug ( https://nenno-products.com/products)

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! Here's some shots of it. No skid plates so now I am wondering what agency had it? In one of the pics of the CV, you can see almost out of frame, the 5100; I'm hoping it has a shim or the 5100 is set higher.

Any suggestions for the paint chips?

IMG_20230709_082053.jpg202307-14a7995949784c95920a0e50a5c7eb31.jpg202307-acaa1d0063fc4bff9ebb79560607d193.jpgtahoe5.jpgtahoe6.jpg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't mean to be a downer, but the cluster was probably replaced and the truck itself probably has more than 12k miles.

If you don't see a spacer above or below front strut, then the bilsteins are up a notch or two..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukrazy

Latest posts