Retaining 2011 Suburban RSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slurpee12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Suburban 2500 with RSE, DVD radio, Bose, Navigation, 2nd and 3rd row overhead screens. I got a JVC KW-M560BT from Crutchfield with a package that was supposed to retain my RSE. PAC RP5-GM31 harness. My plan was to set up an HDMI -> RCA, plug in to the RSE RCA jacks, select AV IN as the source on the JVC, and output the video to the radio and overhead screens. I am able to get streamed video and audio on AV IN on the JVC, but no video on the overhead screens. The screens are powered on. I have tried hitting AUX on the remote multiple times, which has not changed anything.
I spent 2 hours on the phone with Crutchfield tech support debugging the issue, and they are out of ideas. They are sending me a replacement harness (GMRSAV), and iDatalink HRN-AV-GM5, in the hopes it is a bad harness.
The GMRSAV TO OVERHEAD SCREENS and the GMRSAV YELLOW RCA jack is plugged into an RCA Y Splitter, and the splitter is plugged into the AV OUT on the JVC. I used an external monitor plugging into the AV out of the JVC and it streams to the monitor, so it's not the JVC. I've also tried just the GMRSAV plugged into AV OUT and nothing. Same with the PAC yellow RCA jack.
I've searched the forums, and it seems like this setup should work, but I may not get output on the 3rd row overhead screens. Has anyone run into this? I'm wondering if I need the GMRSAV-2 harness instead?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I need the GMRSAV-2 harness instead?
Shouldn't. The newer stereo/nav system began in 2012. It's possible I guess if your 2011 was a very, very late-year build.

I've heard of the PAC harnesses being bad before, so fingers crossed the new harness works for you. It's a super finicky system and I've found that it doesn't work in the ways that I would expect it to.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Suburban 2500 with RSE, DVD radio, Bose, Navigation, 2nd and 3rd row overhead screens. I got a JVC KW-M560BT from Crutchfield with a package that was supposed to retain my RSE. PAC RP5-GM31 harness. My plan was to set up an HDMI -> RCA, plug in to the RSE RCA jacks, select AV IN as the source on the JVC, and output the video to the radio and overhead screens. I am able to get streamed video and audio on AV IN on the JVC, but no video on the overhead screens. The screens are powered on. I have tried hitting AUX on the remote multiple times, which has not changed anything.
I spent 2 hours on the phone with Crutchfield tech support debugging the issue, and they are out of ideas. They are sending me a replacement harness (GMRSAV), and iDatalink HRN-AV-GM5, in the hopes it is a bad harness.
The GMRSAV TO OVERHEAD SCREENS and the GMRSAV YELLOW RCA jack is plugged into an RCA Y Splitter, and the splitter is plugged into the AV OUT on the JVC. I used an external monitor plugging into the AV out of the JVC and it streams to the monitor, so it's not the JVC. I've also tried just the GMRSAV plugged into AV OUT and nothing. Same with the PAC yellow RCA jack.
I've searched the forums, and it seems like this setup should work, but I may not get output on the 3rd row overhead screens. Has anyone run into this? I'm wondering if I need the GMRSAV-2 harness instead?
hard to decipher your explanation, but on my pioneer in order to mirror what is playing on the headunit to the rear screens I have to open the menu and select the rear av after the source is playing, then it plays on all screens, and yes the 3rd row screen has to be wired to the 2nd row in order to work period

OP
OP
S

Slurpee12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shouldn't. The newer stereo/nav system began in 2012. It's possible I guess if your 2011 was a very, very late-year build.

I've heard of the PAC harnesses being bad before, so fingers crossed the new harness works for you. It's a super finicky system and I've found that it doesn't work in the ways that I would expect it to.
I think the PAC harness only comes into play with the 3rd row screen. The GMRSAV harness interfaces directly with the overhead screens I believe, as this plugs into the vehicle harness and then directly into the radio. That's what I'm receiving the replacement for, as well as another brand. Meaning the 2nd row screen should play regardless of the PAC harness.

OP
OP
S

Slurpee12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hard to decipher your explanation, but on my pioneer in order to mirror what is playing on the headunit to the rear screens I have to open the menu and select the rear av after the source is playing, then it plays on all screens, and yes the 3rd row screen has to be wired to the 2nd row in order to work period
According to Crutchfield, the only necessary settings on the headunit should be to select the AV IN as the input and set AV OUT to ON. This was confirmed working. I could stream from the RSE center console AV jacks to the head unit. Video would be displayed on the radio screen. Then plugging the AV OUT RCA cables from the radio to an external monitor, video would be displayed on both the radio and external monitor. But nothing is streamed to the overhead screens when the GMRSAV RCA cables are plugged into AV OUT on the radio.
Or are you referencing a setting on the headunit itself with the remote?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Crutchfield, the only necessary settings on the headunit should be to select the AV IN as the input and set AV OUT to ON. This was confirmed working. I could stream from the RSE center console AV jacks to the head unit. Video would be displayed on the radio screen. Then plugging the AV OUT RCA cables from the radio to an external monitor, video would be displayed on both the radio and external monitor. But nothing is streamed to the overhead screens when the GMRSAV RCA cables are plugged into AV OUT on the radio.
Or are you referencing a setting on the headunit itself with the remote?
menu on the headunit as shown below, the jvc might be similar. by default on mine the rear is off until you change it AFTER the source is running.
p.jpgP1.jpgp3.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is also the possibility if you are using HDMI that copy protection is kicking in and will not allow mirroring. that should be noted in the owners manual

OP
OP
S

Slurpee12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there is also the possibility if you are using HDMI that copy protection is kicking in and will not allow mirroring. that should be noted in the owners manual
Copyright protection should not be kicking in. The HDMI -> RCA mirrors my iPhone directly, which is viewed on the JVC as well as external monitor. The only thing that I am unable to stream is Amazon Prime Video. The video player itself states that on the iPhone.