Running A CVC BU60FHD Converter with Zeroed-Out Clutch Slip Target -- Any Advice/Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
I have the CVC BU60FHD converter, with only 5/6 TCC lockup and zero-slip. And it works quite well. It is the best value that I know for a stock upgrade.

General wisdom for 6L80 converter clutches is that the GM woven carbon clutches are the best for TCC slip, and I think that Sonnax is the only one with a comparable woven carbon material. Most other clutches do not tolerate slip as well (CVC included), which is why @NickTransmissions recommends a thicker clutch for a longer life. It does seem prudent to target zero slip with aftermarket clutches.

My own personal experience was that the CVC performed well with slip at first, but I only had TCC in 5/6. However after a 400 mile tow trip, I began to get a shudder at low rpm & high load, which I think was probably some type of burnishing of the clutches. The end result was that I switched to zero slip to resolve it. I didn't shoot for zero slip at first, because I had only chose to rebuild the trans as a preventative measure. I wasn't trying to change everything at once except that it seemed very clear that TCC lockup in 2nd and 3rd would increase the wear on the TCC, so 5/6 only TCC lockup was my starting poing.

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
3.42 will make life easier on the engine and transmission, better city MpG too.
That'd be nice, but won't be happening unless I run across a good one in a yard.

I have the CVC BU60FHD converter, with only 5/6 TCC lockup and zero-slip. And it works quite well. It is the best value that I know for a stock upgrade.

General wisdom for 6L80 converter clutches is that the GM woven carbon clutches are the best for TCC slip, and I think that Sonnax is the only one with a comparable woven carbon material. Most other clutches do not tolerate slip as well (CVC included), which is why @NickTransmissions recommends a thicker clutch for a longer life. It does seem prudent to target zero slip with aftermarket clutches.

My own personal experience was that the CVC performed well with slip at first, but I only had TCC in 5/6. However after a 400 mile tow trip, I began to get a shudder at low rpm & high load, which I think was probably some type of burnishing of the clutches. The end result was that I switched to zero slip to resolve it. I didn't shoot for zero slip at first, because I had only chose to rebuild the trans as a preventative measure. I wasn't trying to change everything at once except that it seemed very clear that TCC lockup in 2nd and 3rd would increase the wear on the TCC, so 5/6 only TCC lockup was my starting poing.
Thank you for relating your personal experience. It looks that no lockup in 1-2-3 and lockup in 5-6 are the way to go, with lockup in 4 to be determined.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'd be nice, but won't be happening unless I run across a good one in a yard.
Shouldn't be too hard, very common gear for GMT800 & GMT400.
... looks that no lockup in 1-2-3, & lockup in 5-6 are the way to go,
with lockup in 4th to be determined.
Think
'Less and/or Later TCC LockUp in 4th than GM OE' ...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErixonTech