Shorty headers worth it for 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a blackbear tuned 2003 suburban z71 5.3 4x4 3:73. I have a afe cold air intake and replaced stock muffler with a magnaflow. Stock cats. I hear a tick on cold startup which mostly goes away when at operating temp but I’ve already replaced manifold gaskets and all broken bolts except the driver side rear has the Dorman fix bracket but that should work with shorty header.

Found these $200 shorty headers. Are they worth it or just buy new stock manifolds if I find mine are warped or cracked?

I don’t really want more engine bay heat or more exhaust noise as it’s now just right with magnaflow and vibrant ultra quiet resonator. But they claim 12hp rear wheel hp improvement which seems too good to be true.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not knowledgeable on headers, but this topic has been discussed several times in various threads. As I recall, the general consensus is that shorty headers do not do much, if at all, to improve performance. I believe that the exhaust sound will get louder.

Folks with actual header experience will chime with their thoughts and perspectives.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with that claim - may or may not be true, who knows? - is total lack of specificity.
12hp @ what RpM? If it gains 12 hp @ 3000RpM, BUY IT GOTTDAMNT!
12hp @ 5000RpM, you may not notice.
12hp on a 4.8L? on a 5.3L? on a 6.0L? on a 6.2L?
I prefer stopwatch or time trap measurements over '+ this many horsepower'.

Like when people say 'my speedo is off by 5MpH'.
Off by 5MpH @ 100MpH? @ 50MpH? @ 25MpH?
Is it faster or slower than actual? (Slower is technically a federal crime, but so is smoking pot.)

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I have a blackbear tuned 2003 suburban z71 5.3 4x4 3:73. I have a afe cold air intake and replaced stock muffler with a magnaflow. Stock cats. I hear a tick on cold startup which mostly goes away when at operating temp but I’ve already replaced manifold gaskets and all broken bolts except the driver side rear has the Dorman fix bracket but that should work with shorty header.

Found these $200 shorty headers. Are they worth it or just buy new stock manifolds if I find mine are warped or cracked?

I don’t really want more engine bay heat or more exhaust noise as it’s now just right with magnaflow and vibrant ultra quiet resonator. But they claim 12hp rear wheel hp improvement which seems too good to be true.

I’ve had 4 sets of their Longtubes now I recommend all my friends to speed engineering. My tuner also get them for a deal at like 280$ from one of his buddy’s…
Always fit like a glove I’d opt for Longtubes and the off-road x pipe and a good tune if you really want to make a difference
image.jpgimage.jpg
I have the 1 7/8” with 3” exhaust from them paired with corsa pro resonators it sounds fantastic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz