Steering Box Replacement/Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivelite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like I am gearing up to do some front end suspension and steering upgrades. Backing in the driveway today and I heard a snap and the steering wheel jerked a bit. The steering was not responsive and I can only get a few inches left or right. Glad I was already home as this would have been bad to have this break while driving. I initially thought it might have been link or tie rod but I saw quickly enough only 2 bolts in the frame holding the steering box in. And on the other side the box was turned in where the third bolt was sheered off from. No clue how this would have happened. Maybe compromised fasteners due to rust and or maybe it was loose and the angle of me backing up and running over the apron bump did her in. I've been lookin at the redhead boxes as a nice upgrade and I may tackle that myself. I hear good things about the redhead steering boxes as I would like better steering response and feedback. Thoughts on those who have upgraded? Worth it?

PXL_20240430_221357527.jpg
PXL_20240430_221444572.jpg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check bolt areas for cracks, There are also re-inforcement plates sold.
The upgrade boxes in reverse order of complaints- Blue Top, Red top, Lares, Gm, the rest..... Problem is only Blue top has a New Pittman arm shaft/gear. Gm doesn't even replace them on rebuilts AFAIK. BTW at least 3 different boxes available to swap if desired. Try verifying yours currently installed by part number. ( Quick Ratio, Heavy duty, STD.)
Likely that bolts were loosened for Pittman Arm replacement at one time.

OP
OP
Rivelite

Rivelite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will be placing the order this weekend for the parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A