To good to be true? / Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dualie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some insight please.
I have been a long time lurker on this site. Appreciate the content!
I have been looking for a 2015-2019 Tahoe with max trailering for a little over a year now with a budget in mind.
Basically dialed in on clean title, max towing and low miles.
I have a deposit on a 2015 Tahoe 4WD LTZ under 40k miles for $35,000.
Its basically a 9 yr old Tahoe and 1 owner. Carfax looks clean and maintenance looks to be up to date. Car is tight and feels good.
Its being sold "AS IS" by a Ford dealer. We negotiated and settled on a price. I asked for a Chevy multipoint inspection since I am out of state and they agreed before I sign any thing and settle up.

My question to the group is two things:
A) If the inspection from the Chevy dealer comes back with problem codes & advisories- I should walk away right?
They told me that the negotiation is over now so whatever comes back is on me and is my issue, as it's AS-IS.

B) Can a pre-inspection from a Chevy dealer give a clean review? or is this to good to be true?
Or am I walking into a world of pain with a first year model year Tahoe as well.

The whole dealer process has been positive & they have been great thus far.

Thoughts?
Thank you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to your first post. IMO, when the vehicle is inspected by a shop picked by the seller and they also gave you the big warning, I cannot trust the inspection process. If I am looking for a tow rig, and not a pickup, I would look for a 2000 to 2006 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL with a 6.0 and at least 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears and G80 diff. But that is me. I am not trained and do not know but I would stay away from an AFM engine.

OP
OP
D

dualie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you! Appreciate the speedy replies.
More intel below.

Initially there was no warranty on the car. With AS IS on the window.
But now I have a power train warranty for 6m or 6k miles bc of the miscommunication.
The salesman was new and gave me the red carpet treatment, said a lot of things, but the finance guy squashed it. I said I’d walk if I don’t have something.. leaving the lot.

So my last request was to have Chevy look at it, which is happening today.
My choice. I’m 90 mins away and my mechanic is as well.
Chevy said they’d go through it with me.

My wife is skeptical & I don’t want to make a costly mistake.

Always said to myself I wouldn’t get emotional on a car purchase. Man it’s tough!!

I’ve read about AFM on the 5.3, leaking shark antenna, tranny 6spd issues, electrical.. Stability codes.

I have a funny feeling it’s too good to be true.

Reaction score
Looking for some insight please.
I have been a long time lurker on this site. Appreciate the content!
I have been looking for a 2015-2019 Tahoe with max trailering for a little over a year now with a budget in mind.
Basically dialed in on clean title, max towing and low miles.
I have a deposit on a 2015 Tahoe 4WD LTZ under 40k miles for $35,000.
Its basically a 9 yr old Tahoe and 1 owner. Carfax looks clean and maintenance looks to be up to date. Car is tight and feels good.
Its being sold "AS IS" by a Ford dealer. We negotiated and settled on a price. I asked for a Chevy multipoint inspection since I am out of state and they agreed before I sign any thing and settle up.

My question to the group is two things:
A) If the inspection from the Chevy dealer comes back with problem codes & advisories- I should walk away right?
They told me that the negotiation is over now so whatever comes back is on me and is my issue, as it's AS-IS.

B) Can a pre-inspection from a Chevy dealer give a clean review? or is this to good to be true?
Or am I walking into a world of pain with a first year model year Tahoe as well.

The whole dealer process has been positive & they have been great thus far.

Thoughts?
Thank you.
Even if the dealer said that they're done negotiating, if the Chevy inspection turns up some serious issues, that might give you a chance to talk about the price again. Basically, if something big comes up that makes you rethink buying the Tahoe, you might be able to use that info to negotiate a better deal or ask for repairs. It’s always worth a shot, especially if these new findings could sway your decision to buy.

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would request the Chevy dealer to make sure to drive it until it reaches operating temperature and to make sure there are zero transmission issues (no shudder or weird shifting once fully warmed up) and zero valve train noises whatsoever. Have the dealer look to see if the updated thermal bypass valve was installed for the transmission cooler to lower trans temps. If possible if they can just pop the level plug for a second to get some fluid out to check the condition. Then the usual - code scan for any current or history codes. If it is Magneride suspension make sure they inspect all shocks and struts for any signs of fluid leak since replacing all of those will run a minimum of $3K if going back with the factory units and sourcing out the parts yourself from online GM wholesalers.

If you do plan to tow with it a lot even if there are zero issues at time of inspection I would think most would recommend to replace the factory torque converter ASAP with a nice billet unit. Change the fluid out to the blue label Mobil 1 HP fluid and if it doesn't have the updated thermal bypass valve for the trans cooler get that installed immediately. Grab a Range AFM disabler to try extend the life of the lifters even though if they're going to fail it won't matter.

OP
OP
D

dualie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even if the dealer said that they're done negotiating, if the Chevy inspection turns up some serious issues, that might give you a chance to talk about the price again. Basically, if something big comes up that makes you rethink buying the Tahoe, you might be able to use that info to negotiate a better deal or ask for repairs. It’s always worth a shot, especially if these new findings could sway your decision to buy.
You were right on! THANK YOU! I got them to give more $$ off the sale price after the Chevy walkthrough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dualie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never ever be afraid to walk away. I would pay attention to your wife's spidey senses. You asked for opinions from people that have been there.

Here is the latest update as of this morning.
Chevy did a 172 point inspection for CPO'ing there cars. This was a paid engagement.
The tech ran his Code unit when truck came in and no code. The tech took the truck out to highway and no codes appeared live. So even if Ford cleared the codes upon the arrival of there used Tahoe, they should have showed up while the truck was driving now. Seems right?

Back at the dealer, they found & recommended:
A) front rotor and pads (pads were at 4mill) rotors could be resurfaced. 1 mil below bad on pads. Rears were fine at 6mill.
B) suggested an alignment. - pulled to the left on highway.
C) replace the Oil cooler lines as they were damp.
D) Recommended a trans flush now or soon before 45k miles.
The remaining trans, engine, exhaust, no signs of damage or accidents. Said all the fluids looked clean.
Otherwise, no additional codes or history codes.
The rear shocks were replaced in 2021, fronts looked fine - no leaks.
I legit talked to service advisor for 45 mins on this rig. He spend the time with me.
He said the engine bay was immaculate, inside the cabin was superb.

Suggested a thermal bypass valve and update the trans cooler, if I am going to tow a lot - like some said earlier in this post.

I spoke the dealer and we negotiated more off the price vs fixing it.
They will deliver it to my house 90mins away as well - that was always the deal.

I did decline there 3yr/ 36k Ford warranty ($2800) and found external 3rd party warranty from CarSheild that could work.

Sorry for the long note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick