Tow button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to SUV/GMC trucks. Can anyone tell me if it’s necessary to push the tow button when I’m towing a 7x12 trailer? Or is there a certain weight I need to exceed first? I was told my trailer weighs 950lbs the day I bought it. IMG_7437.jpegIMG_7398.jpeg

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say it's very light, but it has lots of aero drag (which I think you'd've already noticed?).
If you notice the engine lugging, or the transmission shifting more than normal, as if unsure of itself,
then you should have ALREADY pressed the Tow / Haul button.

Tow / Haul button basically makes you pay more for fuel to protect the engine & transmission.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 5x10 cargo trailer sometimes, and a 7500 lb camper others. I use the tow/haul on the camper but not the cargo trailer unless it's loaded to its max at 3500. Then I find it helps. Main thing is you don't want that transmission hunting in/out of gears, or the TC coming in/out of lockup on the road. So whatever I have to do to keep it from shifting up/down constantly is my rule of thumb.

Also, you're in the 2021+ section and yours is an '07-'14. You'll get more info posting there.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owners manual recommends using tow/haul when the trailer and vehicle weigh more than 75% of GCWR. Making a few assumptions for OP, that translates roughly to a 5,000-lb trailer.

Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75 percent of the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). See Weight of the Trailer later in this section. Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain.
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop and go traffic.
• When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is desired

h2100

Reaction score
as someone mentioned, it's the 'aero' from the ramp. My ramp is a bit taller, catching air, and i chose to use the button since it downshifts at times.