Wanted 86-93 Mustang Notchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the perfect notchback for me, unfortunately it's in Settle Kansas. I've never shipped a car before, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable buying a car sight unseen. The shipping quotes are all over the place. From a low of $650 to a high of $1500.
Years ago, when I had a German buyer for my '88 GMC truck... The exporter came to my house and used his I Phone to record 'live' everything on, inside & under my truck. Then the buyer agreed to buy it.

( shipping)..... In 2011, moving from California to Florida, my full-size '88 truck cost me $600.
I can hope, if the semi-transport 'open trailer', is a sellout, the cost should be reasonable, rather than a partial loaded trailer??
ONE or TWO vehicles should cover the expense of the trip.... all other vehicles is pure profit.

Post a picture of the 'Stang ??

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the perfect notchback for me, unfortunately it's in Sublette Kansas. I've never shipped a car before, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable buying a car sight unseen. The shipping quotes are all over the place. From a low of $650 to a high of $1500.

$650 to ship is a deal if it's legitimate. As for the sight unseen factor- I'd guesstimate a one-way flight, fuel, food and hotel would be right in the middle at around $1,000 if the car was roadworthy and you were up for a 2-3 day road trip. Lots of uncertainties there that make the shipping worth it, though.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At my mechanic's shop, a couple weeks ago..... He was working on a "last-year-model" Firebird ( The new owner bought it online). It looked reasonably well, looking at the exterior. Then it was on the lift......

Holy sh*t !! The underside was a rust bucket !! All suspension components and most everything needed to be replaced !! Lord knows, how bad the frame work is, once he started to get into it.

It came from a winter / salt area.....

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
At my mechanic's shop, a couple weeks ago..... He was working on a "last-year-model" Firebird ( The new owner bought it online). It looked reasonably well, looking at the exterior. Then it was on the lift......

Holy sh*t !! The underside was a rust bucket !! All suspension components and most everything needed to be replaced !! Lord knows, how bad the frame work is, once he started to get into it.

It came from a winter / salt area.....
One of the many things I'm worried about.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the many things I'm worried about.
Are you able to ask the seller to video the underside condition? ( I can see the 'repaint' wasn't great and the bumpers don't look like the seller took great care of the car...... Personally, I wouldn't touch the car until the seller showed ( clearly) the underside.. Could be a flag, if the seller doesn't show how clean the bottom is. If I was selling it, and I wasn't trying to scam someone, I would be happy to accept your 'smart' request.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Are you able to ask the seller to video the underside condition? ( I can see the 'repaint' wasn't great and the bumpers don't look like the seller took great care of the car...... Personally, I wouldn't touch the car until the seller showed ( clearly) the underside.. Could be a flag, if the seller doesn't show how clean the bottom is. If I was selling it, and I wasn't trying to scam someone, I would be happy to accept your 'smart' request.
Just requested. Thanks for the heads up Pete.
What kind of scams can some "shippers" do?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just requested. Thanks for the heads up Pete.
What kind of scams can some "shippers" do?
Over charge...... Maybe you can "shop around" for prices?? I have no idea what standard charges are, now days ( higher fuel costs).... but maybe you can find a average price?

I had an 'independent hauler' to bring my truck to Florida ( 2,600 miles / $600)..... He even let me pack my truck to the hilt, so I didn't have to ship my stuff, by truck. Inside the shell..... it was packed, with a square inch of space! ( Vehicles are supposed to be empty.... I blacked out the windows ) Driver put my truck above his axles, so the weigh station didn't notice the added weight.
.....Notice the low, rear wheel well height...... This truck is a 3/4 ton !! :gay:

Attachments

• thumbnail_GMC on transport trailer.jpg
    thumbnail_GMC on transport trailer.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Over charge...... Maybe you can "shop around" for prices?? I have no idea what standard charges are, now days ( higher fuel costs).... but maybe you can find a average price?

I had an 'independent hauler' to bring my truck to Florida ( 2,600 miles / $600)..... He even let me pack my truck to the hilt, so I didn't have to ship my stuff, by truck. Inside the shell..... it was packed, with a square inch of space! ( Vehicles are supposed to be empty.... I blacked out the windows ) Driver put my truck above his axles, so the weigh station didn't notice the added weight.
.....Notice the low, rear wheel well height...... This truck is a 3/4 ton !! :gay:
Seems to me around $750 should be the average price. One shipper said I could load up to 200 lbs of stuff in the car while it's shipped. Some of them said no money up front--which doesn't mean anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John_E_Ringo