Whistle or teapot noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venom

Reaction score
so every once ina while my 01 tahoe decides it wants to get on my nerves and at lower rpm and sometimes idle there’s a whistle noise coming from my engine bay but when I hit the gas it will whine higher then go away. Any thoughts? I think it may be my alternator maybe

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your serpentine belt or a pulley or tensioner. Open the hood and start it and check to ensure every pulley or idler or tensioner is spinning. Do you know how old the belts are? Does it do it with AC off and on?

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Reaction score
Sounds like your serpentine belt or a pulley or tensioner. Open the hood and start it and check to ensure every pulley or idler or tensioner is spinning. Do you know how old the belts are? Does it do it with AC off and on?
I think the belt is old I see a few cracks but I replaced my tensioner pulley and my idler pulley I believe and it does it with ac off

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 bolt heads busted of back of driver side exhaust manifold . I put a clamp on it . The first 10 miles .. sounds that come out are whistle sound and tick that sounds like old 350 with 175,000 about 1976 valve clatter it really sounds nasty . But after 10 miles the exhaust manifold heats up it's perfectly quiet. Sounds from a leaking exhaust manifold can really throw you off. I bought a 1992 motorhome 454 with a leaking exhaust manifold it was same nasty sounds . It really does sound like valve clatter.. that's just my findings .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

magma018

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same whistle on my 2003 Yukon SLT. It was a bad AC tensioner that was replaced with all belts less than a year ago. Whistle is gone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAUDADES333