05 Tahoe LT No Power Steering assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eldest928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im sure this has been covered before, but I wasn't having much luck finding anything here so maybe someone an help. This just started today...I was coming off the highway and the light was green to turn onto the side street and what a surprise when I was on the brake and started to to turn and it wouldn't turn. Basically I have no power steering assist at low speeds. I googled it and seeing different issues so not much help there. It appears the problem could be the pump or the rack? It almost seems like the rack is more often the culprit. Has anyone eels had this problem and what did you do to fix it? Im reading horror storied of people changing pumps and racks and still having the issue.

2003denali26

Reaction score
Need to study this more and google, there is no rack on the tahoe's/yukon's that is your first problem. power steering pump or steering gear box are what you have. if the steering is nice and solid no big play then I would say steering gear box is good, so I would suggest your power steering pump is not working or low on fluid, just my opinion.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
With the truck idling, take the cap off of the power steering reservoir. Is the fluid inside swirling around?

OP
OP
eldest928

eldest928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will check for swirling fluid tomorrow. What will that tell me? I guess this truck doesn't have a brake booster sp to speak but some kind of hydro assist or something like that I was told? All I know is there is a dirct correlation between the brakes and power steering. If my foor is on the brake, even when at highway speeds the steering will get extremely stiff. Again, at low speeds its also stiff, but now that I think about it at low speeds, like in a parking lot, you tend to be on the brake pedal as well. Im not sure if that tells you anything, just something I noticed. I can rev the motor or engine brake it while trying to maneuver and the steering frees up a tad, but only until I need to use the brakes a little harder and then I loose steering again. Im leaning towards a pump at tis point. There are 2 hydrolic lines leading into it....yes its full of fluid and its not leaking anywhere. I will let you know about the swirling fluid thing, otherwise I have picked up a new pump, just haven had a chance to get it in yet. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Reaction score
Sounds like the pump the internal pump vains are most likely worn out thats why at idle its more stiff then when revving the engine it increases the speed of the pump vain and help the fluid flow to build up hydraulic pressure

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I will check for swirling fluid tomorrow. What will that tell me? I

Thw swirling fluid will tell you how much the pump is circulating at idle. You want some swirl. If nothing is moving at idle, your pump is weak (given you don't have PS fluid leaking out anywhere).

OP
OP
eldest928

eldest928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about the hydro boost pump? I understand there is something like a pump in the system for brakes and steering assist. I have been told that when that is going bad the first thing to go is the steering. Id hate to put apump in it and still have the issue. granted the pump is cheap, but I have a set of heads to swap on another car and this is keeping me from it.

OP
OP
eldest928

eldest928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well, the pump seemed to cure the problem...for a day. Im thinking there is air in the system or it needs bleed. Everything was good up until yesterday when I noticed when I would hit the brake pedal it was almost like the pedal had a double push to it. Hard to explin. As I continued to drive I think, but not sure, but m pretty sure the steering was starting to stiffin up again. Does anyone know if the hydro boost system take a special fluid or will any old power steering fluid work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate