'07 GMC Yukon XL Denali Brakes - 4 wheel kits - Opinions/Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update.....

Got the Platinum Hart kit, installed all the pads & rotors, what I noticed when installing was that the pad retainer clips were a bit dirty and the one on the passenger rear seemed a bit tight, so cleaned each good as I went along also put a dab of CRC brake lube on each of the retainer clip guide points, not too much just enough to make it so the pads moved easily.

After the installation I found the brakes made a bit of noise, nothing serious, but after a week or so and with ~150 miles and making sure I broke them in easily, seems to have settled in nicely, no noise, vibration, or any other issues. Still have to get my wife to assist me with bleeding the brakes (you know OLD SCHOOL, PUMP 'EM UP, HOLD 'EM while I am under each wheel!).

Overall for $218 shipped, seems to be a good kit! I was spending more for the Advance Auto rotors and pads and not really any better performance...

Reaction score
This will be the 3rd set of pads/rotors I am putting on my '07 GMC Yukon XL Denali, generally just a daily driver, split between highway and local roads, I don't brake hard under normal conditions, so no real need for anything extravagant when it comes to the pads/rotors but I do like the ceramic over metallic since they have less dust on the chrome wheels!

I usually shop around for deals between places like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Rock Auto. In doing so this time I came across some performance kits that have slotted/cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads, really like the PowerStop Z23 Brake Kit (K2068), but also came across some other brands that I have not heard of, would like to get some feedback/opinions. The ones I have seen are easiest to list from the eBay ad's:

PowerStop Z23:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162323865181?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Nakamoto (Price is very attractive!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311680941370?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Platinum Hart:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208325383?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Feedback/Opinions would be appreciated and if you have any other brands that you would recommends for the type of driving I do, would appreciate it! :)
I went with the PowerStop Z23 Front and rear ... i am very satisfied.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to post a follow up.....

I have ~1000 miles on the Hart setup, have noticed a noise out of them, not bad, but happens at a very specific situation.

When traveling 40-50 mph and I have to stop for and have appropriate site to see that I need to brake, when I step on the brakes what I would call medium (scale of 1 to 10, a 5 or 6), there is a vibration/noise, very minimal but I know it is there. If I back off the brakes (to a 3-4), this goes away, or if I push a little harder (7 to 8), goes away, only happens when I step on the brakes with a specific pressure and going a certain speed.

Any idea what it is? Is this the issue some guys have said the Hart brake pads create?

BTW, I followed the break in process, so other than the above, am very happy with the Hart kit I bought.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need breaks, so i will be ordering replacements soon, hopefully not before it warms up a tad

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say....it's alot of variables. When you induce slots or holes into a rotor, you add math. In addition to the fact that you now have a 'empty space' every several degrees, your pads length becomes a factor. Is the length of the pad enough to counteract the fact that your surface area changes ever several degrees? If not, your braking pressure will change rapidly while braking due to the changing surface area which in turn changes the psi on the pad itself. Also, the angle of the slot or hole plays a huge part in the equation. A heavy angle might induce vibrations because the pad might 'jump' when its edge hits a new plain of surface. But personaly, I know hart rotors are not a problem in this area. Also, everything on earth has its own resonate frequency (Tesla's earthquake machine comes to mind). But when talking about resonance, you have to be open to anti resonance. In a breaking system, perfect harmony resonance in a slotted or drilled rotor would give you the added stopping and cooling effect of a performance rotor while maintaining the smooth and quiet transition of a solid rotor. But there are way too many variables to make perfect harmony in every situation. So every vehicle at any speed with any pad/rotor combination will have a specific 'anti resonance' frequence. This will be pronounced to the driver under a certain series of events based on their specific combination. Weight, pad, rotor, weather, material, brake temp, brake fluid, whatever. In order to eliminate most of thes variables, factory brakes usually use a solid rotor. Eliminating most of the 'noticeable variations' in stopping. And they do a good job. Stock brakes give us a false sense of equilibrium in our system. But for those of us who demand performance brakes, we have to set a combination based on our single type of braking situation or, we have to deal with the drawbacks of a better stopping system in a less than perfect situation (brake noise, dust, pulsing, or even longer stopping distance). In general, we install performance parts to make a stock systems more effective for our intended purpose. But with every "upgrade" there are drawbacks. It's our job as auto enthusiasts to understand the physics that affect our cars and decide whether any 'upgrade' is worth it for us personally.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my last brake thread post. Lol. I wish there was a brake sticky already.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having the PowerStop installed for a while now, I am not pleased with the slotted rotors. They make noise when braking at certain speeds which the stock non-slotted don't have. When I need brakes again, going to stay with the stock style rotors.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
My rears are slotted forward.

950c4704575bbbf7644837e5532be54d.jpg

35e02b7e627cf5de214f6f28af8bbc89.jpg

The fronts, rearward

2797faf68caca326587e7fed63a77f6b.jpg

55df4be22f1e762e7731bd50bcd04c6d.jpg

Never paid attention.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You put the fronts on backwards, the slot is supposed to go "against the grain" of the pad so the rears are right the fronts are backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
resmith3