07 tahoe 5.3 voltage randomly dropping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vadenA77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my 07 tahoe LT has gone through 2 alternators in the last 3 months. The first one was the original from the factory, so I'm not too surprised on that one going out. The second was a remanufacterd duralast Delco alternator. And that one went out after 3 months. Have my 3rd one on it now, and it's dropping to 12.8 volts after driving for about 15 minutes. When I turn the truck off and back on again, it goes right back up to 14.6 volts. If I turn the AC and radio off, it doesn't help. I'm sure I need a new battery as well, but sadly, I don't have the money for it right now. Checked the grounds, and they're all good and secure, but I'm not sure why my tahoe is having so many electrical problems. It does have an aftermarket stereo with the stock head unit, but if that was the problem, it shouldn't stay at low voltage when I turn the radio off. So my question is why does my voltage keep dropping to 12.8 volts and then going right back up to 14 when I start the truck back up?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, search for "RVC" or Regulated Voltage Control. (not Rear Vision Camera!)

Have heard of people disconnecting the current sensor around your battery negative cable for more stable voltage.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, search for "RVC" or Regulated Voltage Control. (not Rear Vision Camera!)

Have heard of people disconnecting the current sensor around your battery negative cable for more stable voltage.
I tried that once. After running a few days like that I didn't like the electrical smell in the engine compartment that came afterwards from the charging system running at full blast. So I reconnected it and left it alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonS