'07 Transmission Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.
I plan on changing my transmission fluid very soon I'm at 57k mi now. Just a couple of questions for you guys.

I just want to drop/drain the pan, change the filter, and possibly the gasket if needed.

1. Would it be ok to leave the old fluid in the TC alone and let it mix with the new? I'm figuring with only 57,000 miles and no towing, the fluid shouldn't be too bad. I could be wrong.

2. In just dropping the pan, how much fluid should I have on hand? I'm not sure how many quarts I'll need by leaving the fluid in the TC alone. I "think" I've read 5 quarts somewhere.

3. What type of fluid should I use? Will any Dextron VI fit the bill? Also, is the original fluid synthetic?

The reason I'm changing the fluid, other than as a preventative thing, is I'm getting a small vibration when I shift into reverse. My passenger(s) don't notice it when I point it out, but I can definitely feel it. It smooths out in drive/neutral/park. In reverse it idles rough, maybe a "stumble," "stutter," or a misfire type of feel. The RPMs do not fluctuate though. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I just replaced the plugs (Delco Iridiums) and wires 2 weeks ago to rule them out. I also thought maybe a mount?

Any other tips, or advise is greatly appreciated.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did mine on my 2009 Suburban.

Is yours 2WD or 4WD.

Mine is 2WD, also a 6 speed Transmission.

I just dropped the pan and cleaned it out real good, and stuck it back up.

Reused the gasket.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
I actually called around and got some quotes on just a fluid and filter change. My quick lube places want $120 and dealer wanted $149. Seemed kinda steep for a fluid change but I haven't priced fluid yet. I wouldn't mind paying $80-90 and having someone else do it.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to drop the exhaust Y pipe, to allow for clearance.

Yes on a 2007 2wd 5.3 you have to drop the y pipe. I change my filter every 60,000 roughly. I have a mighty vac to such the fluid out of the pan in between filter changes. So basically I change around 4 qts every 30,000 miles. Dexron 6 is a good 8.00 a qt. When I worked at firestone a few years back we would flush with 15 qts of trans fluid to make sure it was clean.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
Thanks. The Dexron 6 runs about $7-8, should 5 quarts be enough?

Last question if you guys don't mind:
The filter/gaskets say either "shallow pan" or "4 1/4 deep pan." How do I know which I have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1