08 Tahoe - Retapping O2 Sensor Threads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08TahoeVibes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Evening Guys,

08 Tahoe - 5.3L V8 - 164K Miles

Vehicle started to throw two errors which was identified as being a failing O2 sensor.

P0155 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0050 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

So far, that doesn't seem to bad, right? Upstream O2 sensor on the passenger side - $50 part from AC Delco. Well, after much trouble getting the old one out, it ended up destroying the threads in removal.

Wondering if any of y'all might have any suggestions/pointers on retapping these threads? I'll take all of the hints that you might be able to provide!

For anyone wondering, the driver side upstream O2 sensor failed at 159K (both were original sensors from the factory) if that gives anyone some insight on how long those parts typically live. Fortunately, this one prove to be a straight forward swap with minimal effort.

Thanks in advance to all!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they sell o2 sensor tap. I've got one I use just to clean up threads after welding a bung in.

of that doesn't work, a new exhaust manifold is probably the easiest way to go. you could possibly weld it up and add a new bung, but if it's cast iron welding that is very hard and replacement manifolds shouldn't cost to much.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an O2 socket and a breaker bar, and I couldn't get mine to budge.
(Was meaning to drop exhaust, didn't need to.. )

My girfriends Toyota Rav4, popped out like you would expect. Threads perfect. Same age vehicle.
Different material or what? IDK.. sample of 1 doesn't mean anything..

But "oh, what a feeling!" when her O2 came out easily!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Guys,

08 Tahoe - 5.3L V8 - 164K Miles

Vehicle started to throw two errors which was identified as being a failing O2 sensor.

P0155 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0050 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

So far, that doesn't seem to bad, right? Upstream O2 sensor on the passenger side - $50 part from AC Delco. Well, after much trouble getting the old one out, it ended up destroying the threads in removal.

Wondering if any of y'all might have any suggestions/pointers on retapping these threads? I'll take all of the hints that you might be able to provide!

For anyone wondering, the driver side upstream O2 sensor failed at 159K (both were original sensors from the factory) if that gives anyone some insight on how long those parts typically live. Fortunately, this one prove to be a straight forward swap with minimal effort.

Thanks in advance to all!
If the threads are destroyed, then you likely won't be able to retap them.

Just take it to muffler shop. They'll either replace that piece or weld a new bung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMAK

Latest posts