09 Yukon 6L80 TC shudder every 20k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 168k trans let loose and had it rebuilt at a local trans shop with good rep. Afterwards there was some hard jerking decelerating, I took it back they did some tune and it was good. Then about 20k later I got rumble strip effect and they replaced the torque converter and did some more tuning and the thing was absolutely perfect. Like new. Until last thursday, got on a new bridge here and big rumble strip effect. I know it wasnt the road because the bridge is new and smooth as glass. Ok so after rebuild the TC sucked and was replaced, why would it get messed up again? Im not driving hard, its an old girl with 198k on it now. I do drive a lot but not pulling anything and mostly highway and I'm in FL so the terrain is flat. Has anyone had a similar recurring problem?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.
Thanks. It seems like too many failures. Can something be wrong or out of balance or alignment or something... to cause a TC to fail? Very strange.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It seems like too many failures. Can something be wrong or out of balance or alignment or something... to cause a TC to fail? Very strange.
I'm new to the 6l80 but from what Ive read so far rumble strip is the torque converter slipping. A good tuner may be able to fix it with just a tune. I would find another mechanic. Just because they have been "rebuilding transmissions for 30 years" doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the 6l80 but from what Ive read so far rumble strip is the torque converter slipping. A good tuner may be able to fix it with just a tune. I would find another mechanic. Just because they have been "rebuilding transmissions for 30 years" doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
Nah they do the sheriffs and police dept tahoes. They know the 6L80. And the warranty is covering the 2 times I've been back in there. Not paying someone new when I have a warranty. Slipping would indicate pressure to me, no? And it was PERFECT since they had it last and 20-25 miles later, here we go again. That many bad TCs in a row? I know they'll fix but I want to know how these could be getting damaged.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah they do the sheriffs and police dept tahoes. They know the 6L80. And the warranty is covering the 2 times I've been back in there. Not paying someone new when I have a warranty. Slipping would indicate pressure to me, no? And it was PERFECT since they had it last and 20-25 miles later, here we go again. That many bad TCs in a row? I know they'll fix but I want to know how these could be getting damaged.
Find out what or who's torque converters your builder is using and perhaps recommend they make a change if buying from one large TC reman company or another...

If the TC is a factory-level replacement, that by itself would explain what's happening and why as the JMBX converters are notorious for failing early and often. Other things can be excessive wear in the pressure regulator valve in the lower valve body, TCC limit valve, TCC apply valve, weak TCC solenoid in the TEHCM, etc...

Yea, I'm sure they'll fix it (again) but if you were bringing the transmission to me for the first time, I'd do the following:

- Fully bench test the TEHCM for electrical and mechanical function
- Fully disassemble, clean and reassemble then vacuum test both valve body assemblies (upper and lower)
- Fully disassemble, clean and reassemble then vacuum test the stator support valve trains, including the pressure regulator/boost circuits, TCC apply and TCC limit
- Visually/physically inspect the pump, VB mating surfaces, spacer plate, check ball condition, etc
- Cut the torque converter open and see how thick the converter clutch is

Once I was done and still didn't have a positively identified smoking gun, I'd start looking at other parts/systems on your vehicle like your flex plate, engine, driveline, suspension, rear transmission mount, etc....

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find out what or who's torque converters your builder is using and perhaps recommend they make a change if buying from one large TC reman company or another...

If the TC is a factory-level replacement, that by itself would explain what's happening and why as the JMBX converters are notorious for failing early and often. Other things can be excessive wear in the pressure regulator valve in the lower valve body, TCC limit valve, TCC apply valve, weak TCC solenoid in the TEHCM, etc...

Yea, I'm sure they'll fix it (again) but if you were bringing the transmission to me for the first time, I'd do the following:

- Fully bench test the TEHCM for electrical and mechanical function
- Fully disassemble, clean and reassemble then vacuum test both valve body assemblies (upper and lower)
- Fully disassemble, clean and reassemble then vacuum test the stator support valve trains, including the pressure regulator/boost circuits, TCC apply and TCC limit
- Visually/physically inspect the pump, VB mating surfaces, spacer plate, check ball condition, etc
- Cut the torque converter open and see how thick the converter clutch is

Once I was done and still didn't have a positively identified smoking gun, I'd start looking at other parts/systems on your vehicle like your flex plate, engine, driveline, suspension, rear transmission mount, etc....
Thanks for the detailed reply!! I sure wish I could do this myself. I definitely dont want to go in there and tell him what to do but this is helpful for me to know whats going on. So I do know they have (after the rebuild) replaced the TECHM when I brought it in for the hard downshifts. They have it 3-4 times now so hopefully they woulda have seen anything on the driveline that could cause problems but like I said, for a 200k mile truck it was working so well until last thursday. Again thanks, I will update after I take it in.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply!! I sure wish I could do this myself. I definitely dont want to go in there and tell him what to do but this is helpful for me to know whats going on. So I do know they have (after the rebuild) replaced the TECHM when I brought it in for the hard downshifts. They have it 3-4 times now so hopefully they woulda have seen anything on the driveline that could cause problems but like I said, for a 200k mile truck it was working so well until last thursday. Again thanks, I will update after I take it in.
You're welcome...I'd also want to know if they vac tested the pump and valve body, installed a hydraulic correction kit like the Transgo Repro or Sonnax Zip kit as either are good to go for restoring like 95% of those valve bodies / pump cover valve trains to serviceability. My guess is they're using a crappy torque converter but could obviously be wrong.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome...I'd also want to know if they vac tested the pump and valve body, installed a hydraulic correction kit like the Transgo Repro or Sonnax Zip kit as either are good to go for restoring like 95% of those valve bodies / pump cover valve trains to serviceability. My guess is they're using a crappy torque converter but could obviously be wrong.
Oh one more question... before I had it replaced I noticed that sometimes when on the interstate in cruise, cruise would just turn off randomly sometimes. That happened again for the first time in a while couple days before the rumble strip effect. Would a TC slip cause cruise control to turn off in that model?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms