12,000k lows, 3000k fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A623Z

Reaction score
looking good finally another member rocking the 3K fog lights

i have 6K
and 3K fog lights

i personally imo 6k is bright enough yet not so blue

Yeah 3k fogs are really good if you live in a place with snow and lots of rain, they definitely light up the road

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I like the look, but yeah, there are glare/safety issues for others with the 12,000k lights. I'm not saying that to be harsh or whatever, it's just true.

I think sometime before fall I'm going to switch my setup to the 3,000k fogs as well. I need new housings, since I'm melting my current cheap plastic lenses anyway. I'm probably going to retro some Blazer fog projectors in, drop the power down to 35w (only because 55w would wash out the amber, I think), and switch to the amber color all at once. Still sticking with 4500K lows, though. I'm going to get another set of DDM 55w for the highs to match the lows. Already got the 6-high mod, so that's going to be a ton of light when I'm done.

ROV Hawk

Reaction score
its def different i'll give you that but 5000K is the whitest light your going to get out of HIDs..i have 5000K in my lows and fogs and its bright as hell and i only do that cuz i live way out in the country where i wont get hassled but anything over 5000 you get away from the white light part of the spectrum and you lose distance...def get projectors if you plan on keeping them or you're going to blind EVERYONE...

Reaction score
There is no saftey difference between 55 watt 12k's and 6k's I dont care what color the light is. If the light is bright and blinding people it has nothing to do with the color, its just bright and blinding people.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
There is no saftey difference between 55 watt 12k's and 6k's I dont care what color the light is. If the light is bright and blinding people it has nothing to do with the color, its just bright and blinding people.

Color has everything to do with it. Human eyes are designed to see best in natural light. The closest approximation to that from HID's is 4300-5000k. Blue light is a different wave-length that is particularly ******* older eyes. It also has the most noticeable glare to on-coming traffic. So, you're using the worst possible combo for other drivers. You might like it, but it's shit for older, on-coming traffic and a danger because it does temporarily blind.

The blue light is also crap for, well, lighting purposes, especially on wet roads or in rain. It gets absorbed by the water so that it's almost useless.

I'm not being a jerk about this, but you are wrong about color mattering and I can totally school you on the subject using hard science if you like. Blue is not equal to white. It serves no useful purpose and in fact hinders other drivers ability to see.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it and i love 3000k fogs..

whats funny is we always talk about kelvin but wattage/projector/lense/filament/glass tint and gas all contribute to color.. you can have a green hid thats still a 4300k light

Reaction score
Well I can tell you from personal experience that when I see somebody coming down the road with bright ass lights it doesn't make two ***** what the difference the color of the light is. You can talk about science all day, but I go with what I see.

How would you know how well it puts out light? You don't have them. I can see at night and when it rains just fine. Maybe its different for people who have stock housings and don't re-adjust the cutoff.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I like it and i love 3000k fogs..

whats funny is we always talk about kelvin but wattage/projector/lense/filament/glass tint and gas all contribute to color.. you can have a green hid thats still a 4300k light

That's a good point. A 55w 10,000k bulb is going to be whiter than a 35w 10,000k bulb simply because the power does wash some of the blue out.

The biggest issue with the blue lights isn't necessarily for you, Killer. It's for other drivers. I'm going to guess you're young enough to have decent eyes. As you get older, the rods and cones change and blue light at night is one of the harshest colors for old eyes to see. The eyes just don't work like they used to. So yeah, maybe for you they are awesome. But for the 50 year old guy coming at you, they are horrible, and they do have more "glare" than any other color.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. to each his own.

let's not be like the z71 forum where ********** trip out about signature sizes.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Dammit Oliver, quit being all reasonable. I'm going to report you to the mods for...umm....something.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100