165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocHolliday

Reaction score
165 miles and I got a service 4WD message (Advice please)

As the title says...I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at and will post that the issue was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Not much to share at this point, the service department is telling me they called the tech support group and they were told the clutches in the transfer case have been noted as being too tight, and advised me to drive the vehicle in 4H for a "few hundred miles" and see if the problem goes away.

Does this sound right?

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that would be rough on the tires on dry pavement. Wish you the best in getting it fixed in a timely manner.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
I would think that would be rough on the tires on dry pavement. Wish you the best in getting it fixed in a timely manner.

Thats sort of my concern as well...i can't imagine several hundred miles on dry pavement in 4H on 22'' wheels.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to share at this point, the service department is telling me they called the tech support group and they were told the clutches in the transfer case have been noted as being too tight, and advised me to drive the vehicle in 4H for a "few hundred miles" and see if the problem goes away.

Does this sound right?

Sounds like they are clueless. That's the main problem with these dealers service departments on most all of our issues.

A quick scan of the Transfer Case Control Module would have indicated a stored code since the warning message came up. That would have been a starting point.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
So I picked up the truck and the light is in fact out. They told me it wasn't the clutches in the transfer case, rather a connector that wasn't all the way tight from the factory that had worked it's way loose. They reinstalled the connection and say it's fine now. I'm not totally confident at this point but really love the truck and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, sorry to hear. Hope they get it nailed down soon.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need to look for another dealer. Not sure about their competence level.

Fleegerwerx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe z71. I replaced my Trans myself and now my service 4x4 message comes on every time I start it. The lights on the switch will light up really fast like normal then they will go away and don't come back on with no response of any buttons after that along with no lights being on. I took the transfer case motor off the tcase when I had it out if the truck and now it won't move at all forced with a screw driver or whatever I try even when I plug it back in to get the car electrical to move it no response with dead lights on the switch. I can't move that nipple thing on the tcase to the right position to put the motor on it either. I'm assuming the tcase is in 4lo? I dont know. It's annoying to have to press the fuel info button on the steering wheel everything the vehicle is started and I go off-roading a lot and 4x4 is a must. Please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms