1996 GMC Yukon 2 DR, 4WD, Lower Control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smalltalker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for the lower control arms for a 1996 GMC Yukon (2 DR, 4WD) with ball joint assembly.
Can't seem to find them anywhere. Is my only option to try and rebuild the current ones with bushings and ball joints?
All the other parts in the suspension were replaced.
No luck at NAPA, RockAuto, Ebay, etc. Only lower control arms available are for 2WD models (go figure since you would think most of the models sold were 4WD)
Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those have been discontinued for some time now. If they are serviceable, just replace the bushings and ball joints. Otherwise, junkyard or part-out-special would be the only option.

I've done bushings and ball joints on forged LCA with C-clamp style press and a shop press. It's not too bad once you figure stuff out. A bit of heat helps removing the old ones out.

OP
OP
S

Smalltalker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those have been discontinued for some time now. If they are serviceable, just replace the bushings and ball joints. Otherwise, junkyard or part-out-special would be the only option.

I've done bushings and ball joints on forged LCA with C-clamp style press and a shop press. It's not too bad once you figure stuff out. A bit of heat helps removing the old ones out.
Thank you.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell whether I have the forged LCA or Steel Stamped LCA?
The stamped LCA are like formed sheet metal and welded (hollow). The forged are a single, solid piece.

I'm trying to remember, but I think in your generation, only the 8 lug LCAs were the forged ones? I don't own a K1500 series vehicle, so I can't confirm.

Someone please chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23