1996 Tahoe - engine hesitation problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggredd2069

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 96 tahoe. About 155k miles. I have replaced every fluid, spark plug wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, and a host more of other things. I recently started having issues with the engine giving me little pulsing hesitations while driving at a steady rpm, usually 50-65 mph is when I notice it. I took it to the shop and they said my camshaft was off balance and adjusted. Apparently that isn't the problem and they can't find a code wrong. They have a theory about it being some sensor but I have to take it back next week. They don't think its transmission because it doesn't slip when I accelerate. Its just driving at a steady speed and you feel these hiccups in it. Any advice?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there was another thread a few weeks ago where we explained the whole torque converte lockup slipping.....try checking out that thread and see if that might be it.

412HOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with my 96 hoe .... changed the crankshaft sensor .... all good now

OP
OP
B

Biggredd2069

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
when I accelerate it goes away. Don't think I feel it while braking but definitely while maintaining steady speed. How much was the crankshaft sensor? is it hard to replace? Just wondering things I could do to avoid going back to a mechanic. I do know one of the o2 sensors on my catalytic converter is bad.

Ironman1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cranks sensor is cheap and easy.. it is located behind the harmonic ballancer unde the truck.. easy clip in and out and 1 bolt..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it goes away when hitting the brake while AND still maintaining the same speed with gas then most like you have a brake switch malfunctioning cause your torque converter lock-up to shudder. A non functioning cruise control would +1 that. If it gets worse then you might have some weak ignition problems. I would suggest more testing before replacing anything yet. If you do decide on a crank sensor, you will have to take it to a shop after you replace it to have a "crank relearn" function initiated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weeda3068