Engine overheating 2013 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tstar2028

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if your coolent is low there's a good chance the radiator plastic end tank is leaking somewhere. if you look for it while it's hot, you can probably find a wet spot. leaking water doesn't set a check engine light until you've overheated it enough. usually by the time is comes on its hot enough it's not good for the engine at all. if it is leaking you probably should be able to smell the coolent.

the price seems high to someone like me that doesn't go to shops, that's about 200-400$ in parts. but the diagnosis seems plausible and having cars fixed is expensive. you could get a 2nd option from another shop and ask them to show you the leak.
I do not smell coolant at all

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you need to determine if you have a leak. You either do or you don't. Coolant leaks are usually pretty easy to find. A light and inspection mirror is usually all you need. Crawl underneath and look at everything.

Did the truck overheat into the red zone on the cluster guage? There's a high probability you blew a head gasket if that's the case, but you would probably have a missfire, check engine light, idle rough and steam out your tailpipe.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, look obviously there is a issue, regardless if you smell something or not.
you have received numerous responses of how to approach it. It's up to you to either fix it yourself, pay to have it fixed.
OR just keep driving it like it is, but I can tell you from experience that if you keep driving it like that and it keeps overheating you may as well kiss that engine goodbye.
that's just how the cookie crumbles.

davidavidd

Reaction score
Hi!

Adjust the coolant level, go for a 15 minute drive, park in a quiet place and usually the leaks can be heard like a steam machine.
It's not a bad idea to change the thermostat, it costs 10 dollars and is a easy job of 1 hour at most.

R467X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add some UV additive to your coolant tank and see if you can find a leak. If no then just #1 flush coolant, #2 replace thermostat, #3 change coolant temp sensor. And you'll be good to go. Do not drive on an overheated engine.

If you plan on keeping your rig, I highly advise replacing all your hoses, radiator, and water pump with reservoir. Prevent future issues. I did that job a number of years back. Took a couple hours. Definitely not worth $1900.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velt