1999 Tahoe maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

g4willy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, we just purchased a 1999 Tahoe LT with 117k miles on it. All stock except for mild wear BF Goodrich Radial All-Terrains (265/75/16). It also has a new K&N airfilter and the fuel pump and brakes were done about 8 months ago. The power steering hose is leaking which I will replace this weekend along with the serpentine belt (just guessing it will need replaced). Any other recommendations? Thinking of new plugs (recommendations?). Limited budget right now but looking at making sure I can get another 100k out of it. Thanks!

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it won't hurt to replace the plugs, that's for sure. make sure they're the right gap. from what i've read, these trucks can be real picky.
you also might wanna have your shocks looked at. i thought mine were fine, but those things were soooo rusted that they must've been stock, and i have 127k on the clock. i had new KYB shocks put on by a friend and it's a noticeable difference. worth the $150 i gave him :p
just make sure to keep up on regular maintence! don't neglect it :)

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, we just purchased a 1999 Tahoe LT with 117k miles on it. All stock except for mild wear BF Goodrich Radial All-Terrains (265/75/16). It also has a new K&N airfilter and the fuel pump and brakes were done about 8 months ago. The power steering hose is leaking which I will replace this weekend along with the serpentine belt (just guessing it will need replaced). Any other recommendations? Thinking of new plugs (recommendations?). Limited budget right now but looking at making sure I can get another 100k out of it. Thanks!
First thing is to have your transmission serviced'most people don't bother.

Also go with factory spec spark plugs.Would not hurt to have other fluids and filters changed out as well.Also a good seafoam treatment to your intake would be good (before your plug change).As far as the serpentine belt,i'd go with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.Also have your differential's serviced.

If you have and grease fittings i'd hit them with some good grease as well.Its a sure bet they have not been hit in a looong time.

OP
OP
G

g4willy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Just replaced the power steering hose and basic oil change and will look at hitting the others soon.

dave76

Reaction score
At that milage I'd do a full tune up, and do use GM parts, www.gmpartsdirect.com has some awsome good prices on GM replacement parts, you just need the service part number.

Part numbers for common replacement parts are:

Distributor Cap:----10452459-----$33.88
Rotor:-------------10452457-----$7.70
Spark Plug Wires:--88894393-----$54.47
Spark Plugs:-------19256067-----$39.04

cqlink

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of AC Delco irridium plugs at Rock Auto for $40 for my '99. Gapped to .060 and my engine purrs. As others have mentioned, get fluids changed but be careful about a total tranny flush. Unless you know the PO serviced the tranny regularly, I would just drop the pan, swap the filter and gasket. You'll need close to 6 qts. tranny fluid. I believe it's Dex VI. Be careful about mixing green and orange coolant. Check the overflow AND the radiator to see what's in it.

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Work your way through all of the fluids. When you do the tranny go for the flush...dropping the pan and replacing the filter with a few quarts isn't worth the effort.

do the coolant next, consider going after the hoses at the same time with a thermostat.

then the heavy fluids: both differentials and transfer case.

Brake and power steering fluids I'd get to when I had some free time.

When you replace the serpentine belt...do that right away...keep the old one in the truck...nice to have a spare in the vehicle.

Air Filter/fuel filter

also, pull the wheels off and see how the brakes look.

The lower balljoints are a PITA to get grease into...I ground a flat side on grease gun end, about 3/16 of an inch, to get it in there.

95slowhoe

Reaction score
I wouldnt do a total tranny flush. Just change the filter and six quarts and go on. My dad replaced his filter and six quarts at 100,000 miles and now has over 200,00 on an original 4l60e. And has never had a problem out of it. When you do a full tranny flush the new fluid can clean the clutch plates in the tranny and could cause it to start slipping.

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowhoe's advice is not quite correct. If your tranny is on it's last legs you can squeek a few more miles out of it by leaving the fluid alone, ie don't change any of it. This is because the friction bits have been worn off your clutch plates and are floating around in the fluid providing some final few miles.

If your tranny can't handle having its fluid fully flushed...it's already worn out.

When you drop the pan less than half of the fluid comes out so it's really just a big waste of time and money.

You wouldn't drain half the oil out of your engine...

Last edited:

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
INTAKE GASKETS!!! if they havent been done...better do them. before water mixes with the oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968