2,500 Mile Mountain Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Just returned from a 2,500 round trip through Montana, Yellowstone, Wyoming and The Badlands. My SLT 5.3 6L80 performed flawlessly through at least four mountain passes rolling foothill roads and countless river valley floors.

I have had the engine tuned with AFM off and the power level warmed up, as well as the transmission tuned and the lower temperature thermostat. Even with this setup, my trans temp did hit 186* in the mountains going up and doing downshift engine braking descending.

The outside temps were between 87 and 94* most days, even in the mountains, which was very surprising.

However, the best news was averaging 22mpg on premium over most of the trip, even considering three adults and the back fully loaded. I had based my gas budget on 15mpg and was very pleased. Sorry about the fuzzy picture.

Although the roads through many of the mountain ranges would have been fun to drive in a low sports car, the average pace of traffic would have caused me to drive about the same as I did in my Yukon.

22 MPG Pic.JPEG

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you? My wife and I are planning that trip next summer. Got any cool pics to add?

OP
OP
RoadTrip

RoadTrip

Reaction score
How long did it take you? My wife and I are planning that trip next summer. Got any cool pics to add?

Two full weeks, with stops for a couple days in four cities.

I’m still pulling the pictures off of my 4K dash cam, which I highly recommend so that you can enjoy the scenery rather than squint behind your phone camera the whole time.

I love the mountains in Montana, but saw so many beautiful mountain ranges in northern Wyoming than I ever knew existed.

I’ll post some pictures soon. You can always PM me for route info. I’ve definitely got favorites to recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfelion2

Latest posts