2 different subs, single channel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwinters14

Reaction score
This is more of a general question than a specific GMT900 question, but I'm looking to slightly update my sound system. Currently I have 7 speakers, non-bose. (2 tweeters, 2 x 6.5" coaxials, 2x 5.25" coaxials and 1 10" sub).

I bought a 5 channel amp to power everything but it came with a bad channel, so I opted to purchase a small 2 channel and run them 2 and 3.
Now I want a little more juice, and want to get rid of both of these amps. I also want to add a 6.5 sub up front under the dash. My question is whether running both subs in parallel down to 2 ohms on the same channel off of a mono amplifier will work? One's going to be in the back and one in the front.

Both have an RMS of about 300 watts. I don't think It'll be problematic, especially since they're on opposite sides of the vehicle, but I wonder if anyone has had an experience doing this? I don't really want to buy 2 mono's to run them for 3 total amps or bridge my 4 channel/buy another 5 channel.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what you're asking may depend on the amplifier...?
If it is rated to drive 2 ohms and has enough power for both subs...?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is more of a general question than a specific GMT900 question, but I'm looking to slightly update my sound system. Currently I have 7 speakers, non-bose. (2 tweeters, 2 x 6.5" coaxials, 2x 5.25" coaxials and 1 10" sub).

I bought a 5 channel amp to power everything but it came with a bad channel, so I opted to purchase a small 2 channel and run them 2 and 3.
Now I want a little more juice, and want to get rid of both of these amps. I also want to add a 6.5 sub up front under the dash. My question is whether running both subs in parallel down to 2 ohms on the same channel off of a mono amplifier will work? One's going to be in the back and one in the front.

Both have an RMS of about 300 watts. I don't think It'll be problematic, especially since they're on opposite sides of the vehicle, but I wonder if anyone has had an experience doing this? I don't really want to buy 2 mono's to run them for 3 total amps or bridge my 4 channel/buy another 5 channel.
yes, it's no different than having 2 subs in a box, the wire is longer is all. just be sure you have it correctly wired so you don't burn anything out
I would suggest using a good heavy gauge wire.

OP
OP
D

dwinters14

Reaction score
I think what you're asking may depend on the amplifier...?
If it is rated to drive 2 ohms and has enough power for both subs...?
Yeah I think I might give the Taramps 800 x2 a try. It's rated for 800watts RMS @ 2ohms and it's about the size of a dessert plate. I like to hide my subs up in my center console although I might relocate them when I redo the system to under the second row, or the original sub position that the 00-02 had in the back.

yes, it's no different than having 2 subs in a box, the wire is longer is all. just be sure you have it correctly wired so you don't burn anything out
I would suggest using a good heavy gauge wire.
Awesome, thanks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, the amp must be capable of running the correct Ohm load. If the 2 subs in parallel equal 2 Ohms, then the amp must be capable of running continuously at a 2 Ohm load.

I will say this, however. Subwoofer frequencies are non-directional, meaning if everything is running correctly (sub is handling only frequencies below 80 Hz), it will be difficult to identify specifically where the subwoofer sound is actually coming from. As such, adding a sub under the dash won't do anything of practical value for you. If you are not getting enough subwoofer volume, then you should change the subwoofer or provide it with more power (is the subwoofer is rated for more power).

A quality 10" subwoofer with a 500 watt RMS amp can provide all of the bass sound that you need, unless you are into announcing yourself 2 blocks away or like to set off car alarms with your bass. I don't know where your sub is located, but I can tell you that if you have 2nd row captain's chairs, a sub between them will provide solid bass for the entire truck. Please excuse the white dog hair in the photo, as one of my 2 White Shepherds loves to sit on the sub enclosure and look over my right shoulder as I drive down the road.

Sub-Woofer Enclosure - Small File.jpg

OP
OP
D

dwinters14

Reaction score
As stated above, the amp must be capable of running the correct Ohm load. If the 2 subs in parallel equal 2 Ohms, then the amp must be capable of running continuously at a 2 Ohm load.

I will say this, however. Subwoofer frequencies are non-directional, meaning if everything is running correctly (sub is handling only frequencies below 80 Hz), it will be difficult to identify specifically where the subwoofer sound is actually coming from. As such, adding a sub under the dash won't do anything of practical value for you. If you are not getting enough subwoofer volume, then you should change the subwoofer or provide it with more power (is the subwoofer is rated for more power).

A quality 10" subwoofer with a 500 watt RMS amp can provide all of the bass sound that you need, unless you are into announcing yourself 2 blocks away or like to set off car alarms with your bass. I don't know where your sub is located, but I can tell you that if you have 2nd row captain's chairs, a sub between them will provide solid bass for the entire truck. Please excuse the white dog hair in the photo, as one of my 2 White Shepherds loves to sit on the sub enclosure and look over my right shoulder as I drive down the road.

View attachment 439366
I have the bench seat, not the captains, so my 10" is having to push through them. My sub definitely doesn't have enough power being rated at ~300rms to fill the entirety of the truck. There's a ton of volume in the 'Burb that I think requires quite a bit of juice.

The reason I want to split the subs is pretty simple. In both my previous Yukon's with factory Bose I liked how the sub sounded in the dash. I also am a firm believer in the closer the speaker is to your ear, the better it will sound and the less it will have to work to convey that sound.

I already feel being in the back seats that the sub is borderline overpowering my rear door speakers, and have been in many cars that I've felt that way.

Ideally I'd have 3 way components up front, with a sub, and 2 way components in the rear doors with the 10" behind them but that is an upgrade for another day.

I'm gonna give this setup a go, and see if I like it. If not I'll play around some more and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mfried423