2001 denali 6.0 low oil pressure need advice from 6.0 gods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello my names robert im new to the forum and new to the 6.0....

i bought an 01 yukon denali xl for $3500 thinking it was a good deal truck has 200,000 miles on it but is overall pretty clean

when i purchased it the guy driving the truck showed me how the oil pressure gauge would go to 0 psi at idle but was around 20 while running .... i have no clue how long he had been driving the truck like that .....

so i pit in a new oil pump thinking that might be the problem and went with a thicker oil the mechanic said he saw a little metal in the oil nothing major and did a flush and two oil changes in the truck before giving it back. at idle when its cold it sits at about 20 psi but when coming to s stop it will still drop to zero or hover at like 5 psi. cost me around $1000 for the oil pump after labor etc heres my dilemma i want to know what i should do now ive done my research and heard the oil pickup tube can be clogged or the oil pickup o ring can be bad im pretty sure the o ring comes with the new pump so that should not be the case and with him flushing the system you would think that the pickup tube would not be clogged anymore

so should i just replace the bearings and hope that it hasnt got to the rings?

i am also going to replace the oil pressure switch which im sure is good havent hooked up a manual gauge to it and the truck idles around .500 rpm which me and the mechanic think are low... so i thought about replacing the idle air control valve while its in the shop

another off beat question is is there anything horsepower wise i should do while he takes the pan off should i throw in a more aggressive cam i hear the trans am ones are a replacement but i want to hear it from someone who has experience wih this motor (6.0)

thanx in advance i bought the truck cheap so not trying to put to much into it but if it needs new bearings gonna cost me another 700 at least so just looking for hints or general wear and tear parts i should replace thanx again trucks getting dropped off tom so trying to get it done asap havent had t very long and its been in the shop over half the time lol

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off welcome to the board. second, I would put a mechanical gauge on it to be sure the electric one is working properly. 500 RPM is low for the idle. I would clean the TB up and then do a throttle relearn. That should take care of the low idle. with 200k on it, I think just replacing the bearing is a waste of money. If your going through the trouble a rebuild or even just a freshen up will net better results. I also think your mechanic see $$$ when you walk through the door.

OP
OP
R

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanx for the reply my mechanic charges 75 an hour gm is 100 an hour
And bye rebuild or freshen up what do you mean i just want to know what people recommend replacing thanx again
Also how do you do a throttle relearn I'm used to lt1s new to this 6.0 always wanted one and now its just been problem after problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dropped it off for new rod and main bearings yesterday guess we will see if I'm not happy with the results she's going up for sale

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to take that motor out and sell it to me, and then buy you a new one and we all will be happy

FreshLikeOprah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ehh. I wouldnt of went for a rebuild. He could of messed up the o-ring or pinched it. That's common with installs. You could drop the pan too, and check the pick-up. If they charged $1000 for an oil pump, that rebuild will be like $3k! You can get a low low mileage LQ9 for that. Hell, I need to readjust my prices. I'm way too cheap. Lol

OP
OP
R

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lol i like how i join this forum for answers and i have got none just attitude if you think i paid to much for the pump install call ANY Chevrolet dealership and they will quote you at least $650 if you have the pump and 300 more if you don't so sorry i said a grand for that repair lol and since no one can give me any answers i went ahead and put new rods and Mains in new oil pressure sensor pcv valve fuel filter plan on cleaning or replacing iac when i get it back thanx

If anyone has a not smart ass answer or tip to help me out is appreciate it thanx

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our answer was rebuild the motor... yours is mechanical throttle linkage so I don't think you can do a relearn.
By rebuild we mean take it to a engine shop and have them machine it and fully rebuild it. Should run you around $1500 if you bring the engine to them. $3000 for a hopped up 450hp rebuild is what I was quoted a while back

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I'm betting your rings are worn and your engine is blowing smoke and burning oil correct?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925