2001 LS package suspension question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njmaxpayne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have that squeeking/clunking noise coming from the back right side....it sounds like a blown shock but im not exactly sure because i never had an suv before....but my car shock sounded similar when it was blown.now i read that theres air suspensions and all kinds of stuff...what are the shocks on the LS tahoe.i have the tow package,4x4 pretty much everything but power seats and third row.and also i am planning on instaling a 6" lift in the near future.is there a good shock out there that i will be able to use with the lift...if yes which one.thanks!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Max, I don't think your truck is autoride equipped as that was generally an option for uplevel trucks. If you do have it, there should be a compressor either on the passenger side of the frame between the two doors or on the driver side, just behind the rear wheel. You'll also notice lines running to the rear shocks.

The squeaking/clunking noise could be something simple like a loose bolt or a spring isolator that's become torn or fallen out.

Hope this helps in your search.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do I find that if its not the shocks?!?

If your truck isn't lowered and you're sure the noise is coming from the pass rear, I would recommend having a friend stand on the rear bumper and try to bounce the truck up and down while you watch the suspension. This might help you see a loose component or bolt. My other suggestion would be to put the rear of the truck on jackstands, remove the wheels, put a jack under the axle and use the jack to cycle the suspension up and down while looking at the components. If you do all that and you still see nothing rubbing, squeeking, clanking or banging on something then I'd start looking at other parts that are mounted back there, like the brakes, the spare, etc to see if anything else is loose or rubbing. Honestly, there are a lot of parts back there so isolating the noise could become time consuming. If you can narrow it down to what the truck is doing when you hear the noise (for example, going over a certain bump, at a certain speed, only in left hand turns) that can help you duplicate the noise with the wheels off the truck while you are cycling the suspension or other parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320