2001 Tahoe LT 4x4 180,000 trans issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pk64f100

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to forum and have our trusty 2001 Tahoe it is the 4x4 5.3 which is starting to slip going into OD, not going into as smoothly as it has. I am wanting to I suspect do a service to it. I have not ever worked on this trans can anyone give me some tips so i can save some $ and do a maintenance on fluid and whatever else you recommend? Thanks!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a writeup on a great method by a member here. http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f63/how-flush-your-transmission-gmt800-gm-truck-4699/

This method allows you to change all the fluid, Not just what`s in the pan. It`s very easy to do.

The more difficult task is removing the shift linkage in order to drop the transmission pan. The bolts are torx and are tough to remove because you can`t see them. You have to find them by hand and if you live in the rust belt it will be more difficult to loosen them. I couldn`t get them out so i just bent the bracket down and was able to get the pan down. I didn`t bother bending the bracket back because it didn`t affect the shifting at all.

And when you go to buy a new filter you`ll find out that there are two different pans for our trucks, You either have a deep pan or shallow easily to tell apart by getting under there and looking. The shallow pan is flat across the whole bottom where the deep one drops down about half way across.

I also reused the oem pan gasket with zero problems.

And welcome to the forum.

JBTJ

Reaction score
If I were you just take it to the stealership and have them replace the filter and top off. Then use the method described above to replace ALL the ATF in the system. Then add on an external transmission filter so you don't have to go through all this hassle again. Worked for me.

The reason I say take it to a dealer is being 4x4 the front drive shaft needs to be removed. Along with trying to get the shifter bracket off. Then hopefully you can drop the pan without damaging the solenoids. It can be a pain, and there is chance damage could occur. So why not let the stealership worry about those problems?

Once the external filter is in place, servicing your transmission only takes a few seconds to replace the filter and 3~5 minutes to replace ALL the ATF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968