2001 Tahoe not shifting to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Metz

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe lt 5.3 4x4. I was coming home with cruise control on at 65 and my rpms started climbing. I went ahead and pulled and and checked fluids everything was good and clean. Got back on the road and truck shifts from 1st to 2nd perfectly but will not shift into 3rd. It’s like it shifts into neutral and starts revving until it hits 4500 rpm and kicks 3rd gear until I let go of gas. I bought the truck 4 months with no o/d. What could be the problem??

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needs a transmission rebuild. Just went through the same thing with mine. Losing 3rd gear is a common problem with these transmissions once they get older.

Lancem

Reaction score
With no OD that trans was on the way out when you bought it, 3-4 clutch pack is gone, as mentioned above time for a rebuild.

OP
OP
Jacob Metz

Jacob Metz

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks you guys. I’ll keep ya’ll posted. I’ll be dropping her off for her rebuild tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate