2001 Tahoe roof rust rot under roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detailed the Tahoe the other day and noticed some rust and paint bubbling on the roof near where the screws go in to the roof for the roof rack. It’s only on the driver side front roof rack. This has been a California car so I am not well versed on dealing with rust. Is this something I should deal with now or would you consider this minimal and not to worry about it? If so what is the best approach? I just don’t want it to get worse.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpeg
    IMG_3545.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 2

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rails come off pretty easy with a bunch of Allen bolts. If you live in a road salt area, then I'd address it with a light sand, prime, paint, and clear. Being on the roof it doesn't have to be perfect.......only semi drivers will be able to critique your rattle can skills.

If you don't live in a road salt area, it'll probably be fine for quite a while. It probably has a rub mark that salt air settled on and caused a little surface rust. Or, maybe salt covered surfboards were up there a lot?

Either way, it should be a simple fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rizzyuk