2001 Tahoe Weak Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd opinion...

OP
OP
B

Bedore

Reaction score
2nd opinion...

Yeah I will. The only reason I took it to this certain garage is because its pretty much right next to me; can drop it off and walk home. But they have a not so good reputation, and now I understand why. I will be getting a second opinion. The owners manual states that the blend mode is the correct method for normal operation, not recirculate.

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recirculate will not work unless the AC, or defroster is on, or vehicle is under heavy load.

I could be wrong here, but if you have the heater on , and hit the recirc button it will flash 3 times then go back to outside air. So unless you have the AC is on, and temp turned to full heat I don't see how recirc could work in regular heat mode.

OP
OP
B

Bedore

Reaction score
Recirculate will not work unless the AC, or defroster is on, or vehicle is under heavy load.

I could be wrong here, but if you have the heater on , and hit the recirc button it will flash 3 times then go back to outside air. So unless you have the AC is on, and temp turned to full heat I don't see how recirc could work in regular heat mode.

Recirc on my truck works in all modes except defrost, does not matter if it's hot or cold on the temp wheel. The reason it won't turn on on defroster settings is because if there is moisture inside the vehicle it could steam the windows up rather than defrost. If I have selected a defrost option and press recirc, it blinks three times and goes to outside air like you said, but it will work on floor and vent modes.

I am pretty sure the garage was warming it up inside their heated garage, and recirculating the air to make it seem like it is blowing real heat, just to avoid doing the heater core. Either way I have no issues taking it to a garage that wants to do the work.

OP
OP
B

Bedore

Reaction score
Just an update: took it to another garage and they determined the heater core is plugged up (no surprise there). It will be replaced Tuesday.

zoso59brst

Reaction score
My 2000 Yukon does the exact same thing. ENgine comes up to temp, tstat is fine, but low heat from the heater.

I back flushed it last year, not much of an improvement. I guess I will live with it. Major PITA to replace.

My 2000 does it, but only with the rear heat/ac... perhaps I don't have the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need to make it all the way back there :emotions122:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2000 does it, but only with the rear heat/ac... perhaps I don't have the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need to make it all the way back there :emotions122:

Don't forget you may also need to get up to 88 mph too....:hands:

zoso59brst

Reaction score
Don't forget you may also need to get up to 88 mph too....:hands:

I tried yesterday, but I'm in Jersey so it's hard to get going that good without smashing into 6 million other guys clogging up the highway in front of you. :mad3:

But really though, no matter how I have the heat/ac set with the rear control, the air comes out a steady temperature of blah. I haven't really looked into it at all- this thread just made me remember that it does it.

OP
OP
B

Bedore

Reaction score
Just went and picked the truck up. Heat appears to be working alot better. It gets hot enough now to just about burn your hand. I would say the heater core was indeed the culprit. The only downside is the top of the dash with the defroster vents is loose. Is this easy to take off and try to tighten back up, or is it normal? Also got a P0300 on the way home, so I gotta look into that but at least the heat is working!

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much

Just went and picked the truck up. Heat appears to be working alot better. It gets hot enough now to just about burn your hand. I would say the heater core was indeed the culprit. The only downside is the top of the dash with the defroster vents is loose. Is this easy to take off and try to tighten back up, or is it normal? Also got a P0300 on the way home, so I gotta look into that but at least the heat is working!

What was the damage to get the heater core replaced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts