2002 GMC Yukon Emergency Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I get to work this morning, pull in and park... I push down on the emergency brake pedal and halfway down it feels like it snaps and the pedal goes all the way to the floor! I pulled the brake release cable and had to pull the pedal all the way up by hand. My question is, where do I start to look where the ebrake cable snapped? Off the pedal itself? If I need to replace the entire cable? Or is it in sections on this model? TIA

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Probably one of the rear cables snapped. Have a quick look under the truck and see if anything is hanging. The front one rarely breaks so I a assuming it's one of the rears. If your in the nothern part the salt eats the cable in the rear e-break drum on the shoes. Hope this helps you get started.

OP
OP
J

jimi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably one of the rear cables snapped. Have a quick look under the truck and see if anything is hanging. The front one rarely breaks so I a assuming it's one of the rears. If your in the nothern part the salt eats the cable in the rear e-break drum on the shoes. Hope this helps you get started.
Thank you! I'll have a look tonight when I get home. If just one of the rear cables snapped, that would cause it to have no tension (whatsoever) on the brake pedal?

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Yes it needs both to be able to work. I would replace both so you don't have this problem again in a few months. And they are Cheep enough. Depends where you get them they are $40 Cdn so they have to be cheaper for you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the GMT900s they have three cables, one coming from the pedal and going back to the other two, left and right. Certainly seems like you snapped one of them. My shoes came in today and will be replacing mine next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts