2002 Yukon strange Battery Discharge and electrical behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viven44

Reaction score
The 2002 Yukon had unexplained battery discharge while the ABS module was sent off for service this week.

I did observe this strange behavior when a few times when I opened the door, the chime kept going non-stop (ding, ding, ding....)... another time I noticed the chime not going off and the radio staying on despite locking the vehicle.

I cannot reproduce this event anymore, not sure why... it happened a few times a week ago and also when the ABS module was out.

Charging voltage is fine, about 14 volts. Battery charging well.

Another problem I observed is the cluster dimmer has to be in a specific position to get cluster and radio backlight illumination at night. If its off position by just a hair, I have no backlights.

Any advice is appreciated on the observations above.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm... almost sounds like the truck thinks the door isn't being closed. IDK if these trucks (00-02 has door switches?)

My Mom had this mysterious, intermittent battery drain issue on her 05 Escape. I got it home for the weekend and couldn't replicate any battery drain.

I called her on Sunday evening saying I couldn't figure it out. Then she said something that caught my attention: sometimes driving and making a turn the door ajar message popped up and the dome light turned on. Bingo! That also explained the unsolvable "alarm horn going off in the middle of the freaking night" she had been battling for months!

Turns out it's a common issue and I bypassed the door switch because even OEM replacements seemed to fail regularly. SMH

I joke that some of these electrical/electronics issues sometimes almost requires a mechanic, a palm reader, and a priest to fix! LoL

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
Thats exactly where my head is at... something keeping the vehicle awake all the time! I'll look more into door switches!

(Pretty sure there is some form of switch as the radio turns off when the door is opened.)

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out that charm.li website. It should have a wiring diagram for your specific year for free.

I know my 06 Suburban shows on the cluster if a door is opened, but I think on my 99 Silverado (same as 00-02 SUV) there no message. Maybe the SUVs were slightly different? I don't know.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
Your title says 2000 MY; should it be 2002?

From Rock Auto for a 2002 (the actual latch varies depending on the options):

View attachment 439709

This site also shows some variations, be sure to scroll down. I think there are three shown for the driver's door, but I didn't look at them very carefully: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2002-gmc-yukon--sle--5-3l-v8-flex/body--front-door
Yes 2002, fixed the typo. Good catch!

Thanks a lot for this. Ouch, these are expensive.
I'm hoping this doesn't become enough of a problem.

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
Check out that charm.li website. It should have a wiring diagram for your specific year for free.

I know my 06 Suburban shows on the cluster if a door is opened, but I think on my 99 Silverado (same as 00-02 SUV) there no message. Maybe the SUVs were slightly different? I don't know.
Thats a really good referral on the website. I'll check it out...
I'm used to buying year specific factory manuals if I know I'm going to keep a certain vintage of vehicles. Thinking its about time I invest in GMT800 collateral!

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
Your title says 2000 MY; should it be 2002?

From Rock Auto for a 2002 (the actual latch varies depending on the options):

View attachment 439709

This site also shows some variations, be sure to scroll down. I think there are three shown for the driver's door, but I didn't look at them very carefully: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2002-gmc-yukon--sle--5-3l-v8-flex/body--front-door
I found some lower cost options.... I'll need to call the dealer and get the part number for my VIN and see which one I may possibly need. GM part would be nice, I always buy NOS/OEM parts but at 8X the cost it begs the question

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
The headlight switch also has a gremlin where the dimmer switch has to be right smack in the middle else no backlight illumination...

so what the word on this ? Part # 15755595
#1 Repair original
#2 Buy New old stock OE GM part ($75 or so floating on eBay)
#3 Buy top tier reproduction (Standard motor products/Shee-Mar)
#4 Buy Chinesium ($20 on Amazon)

I've been bit by #4 before and even #3 at times for other parts... probably go with #2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geneblakeney