2003 cadillac 2wd to AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan2002

Reaction score
ok i have a 2003 Cadillac escalade,5.3 2WD awesome body and paint, zero rust,

recently have a bad misfire, which might turned out to be bad cylinder. not sure yet. havent got time to check,

worst case it turns out that i will need a new engine. or do the head. it has about 256k miles on it,

now i own a 2002 gmc yukon denali AWD. 6.0, i stopped driving it about a year ago, because its rusted out, i was going to fix it, but rust is so bad its everywhere, even the drivers floor is gone,.

how hard? is it possible?

swap engines form yukon denali to the escalade?

transmission? front and rear diff???

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine and tranny are dimensionally the same and will swap right in. 6.0L along with its PCM will need to be moved to the 2003. Rear diff and axle housing is a direct swap in. The front diff is i believe a little trickier because of mounts on passenger side. I believe the AWD/4WD frame is different vs the 2wd frame, atleast on the front end. You may run into some wiring differences and will have to move the TCASE and associated wiring harness and controller over to the 2003.
Its not going to be a weekend job, thats for sure.

justirv

Reaction score
ok i have a 2003 Cadillac escalade,5.3 2WD awesome body and paint, zero rust,

recently have a bad misfire, which might turned out to be bad cylinder. not sure yet. havent got time to check,

worst case it turns out that i will need a new engine. or do the head. it has about 256k miles on it,

now i own a 2002 gmc yukon denali AWD. 6.0, i stopped driving it about a year ago, because its rusted out, i was going to fix it, but rust is so bad its everywhere, even the drivers floor is gone,.

how hard? is it possible?

swap engines form yukon denali to the escalade?

transmission? front and rear diff???
I have no experience in this swap. My thoughts would be ECM, BCM, and TCM. The dash module (instrument cluster) also changed between 2002 and 2003. I'm not sure how they interface or their compatibility. If you are in an emissions sensitive (like CA), you are not allowed to put an older engine in a newer car. The model year of 2002 to 2003 transition had many changes. DBC and DBW TB also comes to mind. It would be much easier to do this between a 2001 and 2002, or a 2003 and 2004 for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardostrander