2003 Denali Shock Replacement Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boulderado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Denali that we bought a few months ago primarily to tow our travel trailer (about 6,000 lbs). The problem I am having is that after towing for a few miles the rear squats down several inches. The empty ride height (ground to fender) is about 37 inches, with the trailer hooked up it is about 36 inches. However, after a few miles it is down to 33-34 inches and the compressor seems to give up. There aren't any issues when not towing.

The tongue weight is well within what the Denali should handle (650-700 lbs) and I am using a top-of-the-line weight distributing hitch.

Since the Denali has 86,000 miles on it I am not prepared to spend thousands fixing any problems with the Autoride. I am more interested in replacing the rear shocks with standard heavy duty shocks (Bilsteins, Monroes).

Can someone point me to which shocks would be a direct replacement for the stock air shocks? Also, are there any other parts of the rear suspension that needs replacing if I go this route? Thanks.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like autoride isnt either reading it correctly, or your loosing air pressure.

Youd have to remove all that to do the heavy duty shocks.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I tried and tried to find someone locally who could just install regular HD shocks in my Denali. After failing with that, I got online and found these guys.

They have worked with Bilstein to create a replacement air shock. You can get a pair, with a lifetime warranty, plus a new compressor if you need one for under $550. It's really not a bad deal. I'm running them now on my rig, and it was literally about $1000 cheaper than all OEM parts and installation.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15_pid95.html

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can just do away with the air ride all together. Once mine goes thats what i plan to do. I know bilsten sells a kiot and its like 400-500 bucks...but i found another company that makes a kit for like 280. I dont have the link on this laptop but ill try and find it. Actually i think it was shockwharehouse.com

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I wanted to do away with it, but no local shops would touch that project and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure it out on my own. Everyone was just quoting me prices on the OEM shocks, and I kept saying I didn't even want the air ride, just some normal HD shocks, kept getting blank looks from people. It was annoying.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres what i got from shockwharehouse...i didnt ask them bout towing tho...

We don't have anything designed to replace the Nivomat rear with a
conventional shock, but we do have a kit designed to convert to less
expensive air shocks. The kit uses Bilstein shocks, keeps your rear
leveling system intact, won't give you a dashboard light, and costs less
than half of what it would csot you to replace the Nivomats with aftermarket
ones (which are quite a bit less expensive than the factory ones, as I'm
sure you've noticed)
You can see those here:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/...ar-Air-Leveling-System-for-Premium-Smoothride
The price on those is for a pair and includes a $50 core charge that will be
refunded when you return the original units to us.

Regards,
Ross

Shockwarehouse
4700 N. Dixie Highway, Suite 16
Oakland Park FL, 33334
1-800-245-7469
www.shockwarehouse.com
www.brakepadwarehouse.com
www.airshockwarehouse.com

www.facebook.com/shockwarehouse
www.twitter.com/shockwarehouse

04denali

Reaction score
I have regular shocks on my denali until I have the money for new air shocks and compressor. It's just standard shocks for a yukon.

OP
OP
boulderado

boulderado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi 04Denali, did you have to do anything to prevent error messages when replacing with regular shocks? Also, what kind of shocks did you put on? Thanks.

westcoast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just pull the autoride fuse and you wont have a error message. I did that on my denali once to see if I can ride around with no air in the shocks. It worked but the ride sucked so after a day of driving I put the fuse back in.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Heres what i got from shockwharehouse...i didnt ask them bout towing tho...

We don't have anything designed to replace the Nivomat rear with a
conventional shock, but we do have a kit designed to convert to less
expensive air shocks. The kit uses Bilstein shocks, keeps your rear
leveling system intact, won't give you a dashboard light, and costs less
than half of what it would csot you to replace the Nivomats with aftermarket
ones (which are quite a bit less expensive than the factory ones, as I'm
sure you've noticed)
You can see those here:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/...ar-Air-Leveling-System-for-Premium-Smoothride
The price on those is for a pair and includes a $50 core charge that will be
refunded when you return the original units to us.

Regards,
Ross

Shockwarehouse
4700 N. Dixie Highway, Suite 16
Oakland Park FL, 33334
1-800-245-7469
www.shockwarehouse.com
www.brakepadwarehouse.com
www.airshockwarehouse.com

www.facebook.com/shockwarehouse
www.twitter.com/shockwarehouse

Those are the same Arnott/Bilstein shocks I mentioned 3 posts earlier, just from a retailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968