2004.Denail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DubC75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I inherited my brothers 2004 Denali who passed away recently. It has the 6.0 and a 4l80e he was doing some work if the transmission. When I'm got the vehicle i started it and went to shift in to drive. The selector will not go past Reverse. I cannot see anything in the easy it impeding the movement. What would be the cause of this? Thank you in advance

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to crawl underneath, or put it on a lift. You can remove the shift cable linkage on the driver's side. Then see if the shift arm on the transmission can be moved through its detents by hand with a wrench or pliers. If it acts the same as with the cable, then you probably have something internal that needs attention. If you have 4 or more 'clicks' through the rotation, then I would lean towards a cable issue, or the brake activated shift solenoid under/in the steering column.

It's been 20 years since I worked on one of those trucks as a regular occurance, so the internal specifics are a little hazy. Others will chime in and help......or set me straight :)

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I inherited my brothers 2004 Denali who passed away recently. It has the 6.0 and a 4l80e he was doing some work if the transmission. When I'm got the vehicle i started it and went to shift in to drive. The selector will not go past Reverse. I cannot see anything in the easy it impeding the movement. What would be the cause of this? Thank you in advance
Definitely put this question in the correct-year section (you've got this in the '21+ section). You'll get more helpful eyes on it there.

Good luck.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first, sorry for your loss of your brother...

if your 2004 GMC Denali is a Yukon Denali I believe it should have a 4L65e transmission...

good luck with your Denali...

Bill

OP
OP
D

DubC75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll have to crawl underneath, or put it on a lift. You can remove the shift cable linkage on the driver's side. Then see if the shift arm on the transmission can be moved through its detents by hand with a wrench or pliers. If it acts the same as with the cable, then you probably have something internal that needs attention. If you have 4 or more 'clicks' through the rotation, then I would lean towards a cable issue, or the brake activated shift solenoid under/in the steering column.

It's been 20 years since I worked on one of those trucks as a regular occurance, so the internal specifics are a little hazy. Others will chime in and help......or set me straight :)
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo