2004 Tahoe Passenger presence system question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy,
I have a 'service air bag' light/message come on and a B0092 code showing. It is a 2004 Tahoe Z71. (158k miles) I thought I had it fixed after replacing the sensor but the notice on the dash came back. I also cleared the code and it said successfully cleared. Before, when someone sat in the seat the light and message would stay off. Now, it is random... sometimes the light/message goes off, sometimes it stays on. My question is: Is the sensor pad that looks to have an air hose connected to it replaceable? Is it an air bladder or does it have fluid in it? I can't seem to find anything as far as a replacement sensor pad for this year of Tahoe. Any help is appreciated.

John

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
In my 08 the pad is filled with an oily liquid, some kind of silicone IIRC.

The pad and the electronic pressure sensor at the end of the tubing are a single part.

If your luck is bad -like mine- someone swapped a seat from a different year model which can lead to parts sourcing problems. I had to bastardize a sensor by splicing the electronic bit from an 08 Silverado to the hose and pad in my seat, which is from God only knows what year model.

OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought it might be a silicone-like fluid. There seems to be a bit of oily film under the seat, which I'm wondering if it means the sensor pad might be leaking? I'm fairly certain the seats are original, but I can't find the replacement pressure sensor pad source online anywhere. I did see a GM OEM repair kit that included the seat cushion and sensor for a mere $400 or so... I might be better off hoping I could find a junk yard seat to replace the current one if I can't find the replacement parts.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Howdy,
I have a 'service air bag' light/message come on and a B0092 code showing. It is a 2004 Tahoe Z71. (158k miles) I thought I had it fixed after replacing the sensor but the notice on the dash came back. I also cleared the code and it said successfully cleared. Before, when someone sat in the seat the light and message would stay off. Now, it is random... sometimes the light/message goes off, sometimes it stays on. My question is: Is the sensor pad that looks to have an air hose connected to it replaceable? Is it an air bladder or does it have fluid in it? I can't seem to find anything as far as a replacement sensor pad for this year of Tahoe. Any help is appreciated.

John
Have you tried looking at the wiring? I have read that the wire harness gets cut up on the rail and it starts to short out. Might not be your case, it doesn't hurt to look. Look at the video

My SUV just started doing the same thing, I have not looked into it thou. Keep me posted on your findings. Could you post a picture of the of the sensor you replace?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what comes up at GMPartGiant for my '04 Tahoe. I think this is what you're looking for.

1641602203800.png

Head on over there, plug in your VIN, and confirm your part number.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, and yes I did check the wiring when I had the seat out to replace the heating elements. But ya never know... my old eyes might of overlooked something. Also thinking next time I take the seat out I might test the wiring with a meter just to be sure.
And thanks for the link to the Module Kit... I just can't justify $400. Not today, anyway. Keeping these old rigs safely on the road is costly ! (gotta laff)

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, and yes I did check the wiring when I had the seat out to replace the heating elements. But ya never know... my old eyes might of overlooked something. Also thinking next time I take the seat out I might test the wiring with a meter just to be sure.
And thanks for the link to the Module Kit... I just can't justify $400. Not today, anyway. Keeping these old rigs safely on the road is costly ! (gotta laff)
Beats paying $80k for a new rig. Lol

OP
OP
hogosmith

hogosmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep... I hear you ! But at my age $80k for a new rig is never going to compute to anything that makes sense... (smile)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could always verify the part number and do some searching for other sources, if it's what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mulewhisperer