2004 Tahoe stock amp and sub, can I put new subs on the stock amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blkdout04hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with the Bose audio system. From research I see that my Tahoe has a stock 8" sub and a stock amp. Is there anyway I can hook my 2 10" JL subs to my stock amp? Any help would be appreciated :pepper:

danniboi

Reaction score
Your stock amp powers your door speakers and subwoofer. It's not intended for anything but that, you can do a subwoofer swap on the stock one to get a little more kick but definitely won't pick up your 2 10's.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could, but it's probably a waste of time. What ohm are your subs wired to? I think the stock amp is 2 ohm. Don't remember. High class JL subs hooked up to stock GM amp is just odd. Good luck.

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....:lol2:

if the amp was that strong this would be the most popular mod ever

MassRCDude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have my stock Bose amp in my 05 Denali powering to 10's. For the past 4 months i have yet to have any problems. There is really no lack of power pushing the subs. As long as you wire them correctly (series/parallel), there is no reason why it wouldn't work.
Hope this helps!

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity which subs do you have? Lol... Yes it will work as long as its wired to 2 ohms.

papa-ginga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi from Germany,

There is a video on youtube to hook up the Subwoofersignal. I also try it, but there you cant find a real Stereosignal, it is already crossed. If you hear Music with drums from left side to right side, you dont hear it because a subwoofer add all deep sounds and give it out in one Speaker. Subwoofer are only good for Cinemasound. Music is always in Stereo.
But you get a better sound when you hook up the rear door speaker signal and add an amp with a possibility to turn on 12 db more bass. So I did. I also changed the rear door Speaker one Size bigger to 16,5 cm. I needed a sharp knife to cut the plastic around. This mod was cheap - the bass speaker around 20 Dollars, a used crunch blackmaxx on ebay also 20 Dollars.
And If I find a way to throw out the Bose amp (a Joke, not an amp) , incl. the "Subwoofer" and get the onstar Signal to a separate speaker, I will search for small 4 chanel amp which I can mount on the place from the bose. The "Bose" mostly "Delco Bose" was the first thing I throw out in every car that I had - for example Corvette C4 , BMW 850. The Bose in cars you can not compare with the legendary Soundsystems from earlier times. (Sorry for my bad english.)

Greetings Michael

papa-ginga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
50 Watts can have a good sound, but I think the Bose amp cut the deep sounds, or the little sub cannot give out the full bass.

So now I decide to trow out the complete "Bose- System" and come back to my favorite older modell from Sony - DVD MEX R1 - I had it in the most cars I had - and the sound is perfect with the wright configuration (Customer 7 Band Equalizer, Loudness, DSO1) Yesterday I shoot one at ebay for 50€ (75$?) New it was about 300$ round about the year 2007
The only thing - it is a single DIN, so I must think about how it looks good in the dashboard.
It have also 4 x 52 Watts, but the time when we had a party in a garden , I only needed to drive my opened Jeep Wrangler into the garden- we do not miss any PA System :) and there you need only one little amplifier for a subwoofer. I prefer the german Visaton speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conquer1