2004 Yukon XL Starting Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon XL. It seems when it gets cold the thing won't start. I turn the key and all I hear is the relay's clicking from the starter or somewhere from the passenger firewall. I have tried EVERY combo of lock, unlock, door open/shut window up and down, and key in the door. It just clicks when turn the key. All dash lights are normal, no extra lights etc. Got a new relay fuse for under the hood with no help. After about 50 tries of turn and click it just starts on one of the tries. No warning, nothing different, I can wait 10 minutes between start tries, but no matter what, I know that one of those times out of the blue it will fire up, and no problems. I could shut it right back off and it will start 20 times no problem. I can warm it up good and hot or drive it a block and shut it off, and it always starts perfectly. Just in the morning when it's sat and cooled VERY thoroughly will it do this and so far only when it's cold. I live in Michigan where it's 50 one day and 17 the next, and only on the cold days does it do this.

New starter, checked and rechecked connections
replaced starter relay fuse under hood twice to make sure
new battery and tested twice

I need ideas and fast. I don't mind taking to mechanic but I am not going to let him troubleshoot with my credit card until he accidentally figures out the problem by replacing enough things. I want to take it to him and point him in the closest possible direction to the fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925