2005 5.3 Ticking Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
filthysuburban

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I am crazy and took the heads off again, those summit lifter trays were tight and could hold the lifters when they went in 300 miles ago. Now when I removed them not a single one can grasp a lifter to save it's life.
Seems now to be loose enough to allow lifters to rotate maybe half a degree or so... I've heard the trays could be an issue so I made sure they held the lifters tight when they went in. And you could put the lifter in and shake it and the lifter would stay in.
My mind is blown how loose these trays got after basically no mileage, just imagine how loose they could be when hot. Also explains how it sounded great for 50 miles or so.
Cam and lifters look undamaged but I bet it would have gone south after a while. Glad I found this out the relatively easy way... ALWAYS AND ONLY USE GM OEM LIFTER TRAYS FROM A REPUTABLE PARTS SUPPLIER ALWAYS NO AFTERMARKET EVER!!!
Doesn't matter if it holds the lifters tight when it goes in... every tray is loose now.

I still need to get it back together again so it's not certain that was the sound, but I feel this is good information for anyone looking at kits that come with trays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1