2005 Chevy Tahoe- Window Switch Broke Off- Needing Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roybattycage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm making this post to see if there's any way of fixing this without taking the whole panel off. Our window switch panel has been getting harder to use lately since it takes more pulling to close the right door's windows. Fast forward to yesterday, my father went to close the windows for the night, and didn't notice that the battery had died midway through closing them (it died right after he finished closing the 2 rear door windows). The switch for the right door didn't want to close, so he was under the impression that it had to be pulled harder so it would work. Ended up pulling the switch out and now here we are. Does it look like we'll be able to just snap it back on somehow? Money's been tight lately so I would hope repairs aren't too expensive. At least we got a good laugh out of it

20240817_100600.jpg20240817_100547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I believe that the door panel needs to be removed (1 screw inside the door panel), in order to remove the entire switch assembly, but @OR VietVet may have a better idea and perspective on this than I.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that the door panel needs to be removed (1 screw inside the door panel), in order to remove the entire switch assembly, but @OR VietVet may have a better idea and perspective on this than I.

I can't tell you if that lever will snap back in, but what is there to lose by trying it?

In order to remove the driver's door switch (it comes out with the bezel) the door panel needs to come off. Otherwise the bezel mounting screw, accessible only from the backside of the panel, will break off of the bezel and it will be forever loose. But it can be repaired with Q-Bond... ask me how I know. ;)

The door panels are easy to remove; there are only two or three screws to remove, and the whole panel lifts up and off. It has large plastic hooks that are captured in the door steel. One of the awesome features of the GMT800s.

Also, if you replace the whole driver's door switch, a new one needs to be programmed, or a used one should come from a donor with the same options.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haven't taken one apart in a good while, so if there was a little spring or anything else that came off with it then that needs to go back in otherwise it should just pop back in with a little bit of force.
if for some reason you end up taking the door panel off beware there is a screw at the top/forward end of that switch which will almost certainly break the plastic when removing, if that happens you can just throw a drywall screw in it to keep it secure, just only drive it in deep enough to hold it in place

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fabricated a water-proof cover..... Opening the door in the rain will douse the switches with water. I found a nylon 'matching material' then sprayed a water proofer on it. The 'raised photo doesn't show, that the material was more flat against the side..... so switches are not interfered. The edge is tucked into the seam, against the door panel... I riveted a 'catch' that tucks into the panel seal, to hold it up. I was concerned, the water might corrode the switches.

Attachments

• door switch panel.JPG
    door switch panel.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 5
  • %22Switchbrella%22 up.JPG
    %22Switchbrella%22 up.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 5
  • rough cut material.JPG
    rough cut material.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I fabricated a water-proof cover..... Opening the door in the rain will douse the switches with water. I found a nylon 'matching material' then sprayed a water proofer on it. The 'raised photo doesn't show, that the material was more flat against the side..... so switches are not interfered. The edge is tucked into the seam, against the door panel... I riveted a 'catch' that tucks into the panel seal, to hold it up. I was concerned, the water might corrode the switches.
Back in the days of me going thru drive thru windows, I used to lay my forearm over it. Would also roll the window up enough to help cover it. I never liked those window deflectors.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
up dated pics..... ( The 'catch' to hold the cover up, is a 'picture hanger-hinge' that fits perfect into door panel seam.
An added plus..... I don't accidentally hit the darn seat adjuster button...

Attachments

• 20240818_114919.jpg
    20240818_114919.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240818_114938.jpg
    20240818_114938.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 2